Maltodextrine and hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Safa

Reaction score
This might sound crazy.

I mashed an English mild too low (like a *******) and its ended up too thin. I'm definitely adding some maltodextrine to bring back some body. Now here's what might be crazy. When I boil the maltodextrine, can I add some hop pellets and get some extra flavour and bitterness with 30 minute on the boil? I'll just be using a small amount of water and adding it straight to the keg.

Go for a 15 minute boil instead. That way you get minimal IBUs and some flavour/aroma, keeping it a mild.

Dont worry about my hop additions, I know what the beer needs, I'm just asking if anyone knows:

1. whether I will get oil extraction with only maltodextrine in the boil
2. Will adding hop oils (using this method) after fermentation has stopped will yield similar results to what hop additions pre-fermentation achieve.

RESULTS:

It worked beautifully!

I boiled the matodextrine in some water (4oz malto and about 4 cups of water) for 30 minutes, cooled it a tad and added straight to the keg.

The beer is immeasurably better. Incredible mouth feel (whereas before it was super thin). Much much better hop flavour and a little bit more bitterness, no real change to aroma. All of which is exactly what I was hoping for. Haha, hopping for. Get it?

Verdict: You CAN add hops post fermentation by boiling them with maltodextrine and adding to the keg/bottling bucket.

Back