Help me figure this out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whattawort

Reaction score
I've done my caramel hard apple cider at least 4 times before this last batch. But something seems amiss with this one. Here's the run-down:
  • 1 gal of Mott's apple juice
  • Dextrose (honestly don't remember how much I put in it this time but it was enough to get things rocking for several weeks)
  • Shake what ya momma gave ya until you can't shake it no more
  • Pitch Notty
  • Stow away in cool dark place for 2-3 weeks (3 in this case)
  • Bring it out of hiding and add campden tab
  • Stow away for 24hrs
  • Transfer to secondary
  • Make dolce syrup, cool, and add
  • Shake what ya momma gave ya again
  • Top off with more apple juice and stow away again to let the flavors mingle

Last nice I uncorked her for the first time and poured over ice. The smell was yeasty but the taste was really nice. Would have liked it to be a bit dryer, but SMWBO likes it sweeter (hence the notty and not Montrachet like I use for my other apple concoctions). My issue is that it has that yeasty nose. I've never had this in my other batches. I figured since I use a campden tab plus transfer to another carboy, this really shouldn't be an issue. I didn't do anything different than I have in the past. Any ideas?

Doesn't matter anyway. She threw the cork Saturday night and it was too late to recover by the time I noticed. She shrugged off her alcoholic coil and all that was left was mold and a tear in my eye. I'll do it again soon. It was as clear as day. I wasn't going to bother with a formal bottling since it would have all been consumed within 48hrs and that would have been a waste of my ever dwendling bottle collection. The plan was to stow it in a few empty soda bottles for transport and consume on arrival. I never had intentions of carbing this one.

Latest posts

Back