55# bag of grain sitting on wet basement floor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Like a royal dumb ass I stored my sack of grain on the basement floor next to the furnace/ac unit. There was some dampness on the floor, and low and behold my grain was sitting on moisture. It wasn't exactly a puddle.

Now I can't imagine too much got wet, but should I just keep it in the grain in the same sack, or should I get the top 40# or so in another container?

Please advise.

Like a royal dumb ass I stored my sack of grain on the basement floor next to the furnace/ac unit. There was some dampness on the floor, and low and behold my grain was sitting on moisture. It wasn't exactly a puddle.

Now I can't imagine too much got wet, but should I just keep it in the grain in the same sack, or should I get the top 40# or so in another container?

Please advise.

I would remove the top portion as you mentioned, and for the bottom part, I would place it in a clay pot...they are good for absorbing moisture, and if you dont have one they are pretty cheap at Lowes or Home Depot.

Check the grain first. There are usually liners inside the mesh to protect the grain, but it all depends on how much water/moisture there was surrounding the sack.

Latest posts

Back