Making a rolling keg cooler for tail gating games...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fasttimes

Reaction score
I'm in the process of making a rolling keg-cooler out of this:
igloo ice cube 70-qt.

I've seen it done before, and thought it was pretty straight forward. Cut out hole in lid for top of keg and that's it. Well, now that I've cut my hole I've got to figure out some way to seal up the raw foam lining of the hole in the lid. Besides not looking too great, I want to keep any moisture that may get into it. Does anyone have a recommendation for a product to seal up the foam?

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/Beer-Gadgets/The-Portable-KegeratorCached

I got a non-working Chest Feezer that will hold 5 Corney Kegs.

I cut out the motor and it is very light.

It works great and last time I put 5 in it, with about 70 pounds of ice I still had lots of ICE 24 hours later when all the beer was gone.

I was going to do the same but I found the round coolers much cheaper. I build some foam o-rings to go around the kegs so I wouldn't have to ruin the lids...

They hold 20lbs of ice and after 3 days I still had ice in both of them (just no beer)...

1D8ED370.jpg

I was going to do the same but I found the round coolers much cheaper. I build some foam o-rings to go around the kegs so I wouldn't have to ruin the lids...

They hold 20lbs of ice and after 3 days I still had ice in both of them (just no beer)...

1D8ED370.jpg

Are those just wood tops in place of the lids?

Sorry last question what size are those?

They are 10 gallon coolers and the tops are made from two layers of a dense foam. I think wood will work just as well though.

I already have the cooler and have cut the hole in the lid. I'm just looking for any suggestions to clean up and seal the exposed foam in the hole.

I haven't done a project like this, but if I did, I would try some plastic/rubber material. I just bought a piece to line the bottom of a shelf I made for my kegerator. It is sold bulk, by the foot, and there are several different styles. I would get a rough cut, then use a new single bladed razor or utility knife to cut it exactly. (Overlap the ends slightly, then cut through both layers for a perfect fit. Then trim the top and bottom flush with the lid using the razor.) I would try a spray adhesive on both surfaces. Thats what I would do. Good luck and attach some pic's when its done.

1D8ED370.jpg

These are awesome! How to do you charge them? Paint ball charger? Is the 'liquid out' plumbed down through the foam ring to the faucet? Awesome :ban:

I eneded up using Marine 5200. It's still curing but looks ok. After it dries I may see about adding a thin foam gasket to line the inside at the top.

Latest posts

Back