re-using hefe yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cha ngo

Reaction score
I know that the yeast reuse topic has been beat to death. I have read a bunch of threads on the subject myself. However, I have not seen one that brings up the question of re-using low flocculating hefe yeast.
Me and my buddy made 20 gallons of Hefe last weekend. We got grains crushed to do another 20 gallons and we need to get it done because I am going out of town for an indefinite period. Anyway, the plan was to just drain the cooled wort right onto the yeast cake from the last time. I know that normally this is just fine assuming no contamination, but I am wondering if Hefe yeast has any properties that would make this a bad idea. I have read that it is common practice for hefe brewers to actually underpitch their beers to enhance phenolic creation.
So my question is twofold:
Is hefe yeast ok to reuse despite the low flocculation?
Should I use the whole cake, or cut it down by some?
Thanks.

cha ngo said:
I know that the yeast reuse topic has been beat to death. I have read a bunch of threads on the subject myself. However, I have not seen one that brings up the question of re-using low flocculating hefe yeast.
Me and my buddy made 20 gallons of Hefe last weekend. We got grains crushed to do another 20 gallons and we need to get it done because I am going out of town for an indefinite period. Anyway, the plan was to just drain the cooled wort right onto the yeast cake from the last time. I know that normally this is just fine assuming no contamination, but I am wondering if Hefe yeast has any properties that would make this a bad idea. I have read that it is common practice for hefe brewers to actually underpitch their beers to enhance phenolic creation.
So my question is twofold:
Is hefe yeast ok to reuse despite the low flocculation?
Should I use the whole cake, or cut it down by some?
Thanks.

Cut it down only if you want more banana and clove flavors, and keep it in a warmer location. Otherwise you're fine to reuse.

Back