Recipe thoughts, beer for the girlfriend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nanofreak

Reaction score
I am trying to throw something together that the girl friend will drink. I am not looking to crak out the mash tun, and am looking to use a few things I have on hand.

I thought of using the below:

3# Pilsen DME
3# Wheat DME
4 oz Carapils

Hops:
.75 cascade 60
.5 cascade 20
.25 cascade 5

Yeast
US-05

In addition I have some flaked maze laying around, and if I wanted to mash I could add (or substitute) maybe 3lbs pale malt I have laying around. She isn't a big hop or craft beer drinker, though she does try mine and enjoy them from time to time. I am looking to make a lighter cleaner homebrew that she would enjoy.

Also, thoughts on the hops? I have a lot of different hops I can sub for the cascade. NOT going for a bitter or hoppy feeling though.

That sounds like a pretty nice light beer, perhaps secondary it for a week on 3 or 4 lbs of strawberries. The recipe u r using there should be light enough to let the strawberry flavor/aroma come through. Chicks LOVE strawberry flavored beer.

Is this 5gal batch? If so 6lb of extract seems like a lot if you are going for a lighter beer. The hops kind of depends on your extract boil volume, but it might be a bit much too. cascade is a great choice, has a nice kind of citrus flavor and aroma in a light style beer, goldings would be good too, but then I would us s04 with that. But I'm just talking out my ass, just brew whatever you want, say it's for her. If she doesn't like it, tell her her taste in beer is even worse than her taste in men, and drink it all yourself!

Lighter tasting as opposed to overly matly, not as in bud light coors light, etc. Also as in not heavy mouth feel or in the belly. The pilsen should keep it really light.

That sounds like a pretty nice light beer, perhaps secondary it for a week on 3 or 4 lbs of strawberries. The recipe u r using there should be light enough to let the strawberry flavor/aroma come through. Chicks LOVE strawberry flavored beer.

My girlfriend would break up with me if I ever put fruit in a beer.

Xpertskir said:
My girlfriend would break up with me if I ever put fruit in a beer.

My daughter, and most of the women at the last festival I served my beer at LOVED the strawberry blonde. But it is what it is, no worries

Chicks LOVE strawberry flavored beer.

Maybe the women you know do, but I don't know of one woman that would touch a strawberry flavored "beer".

My favorite beer style is IPA, and some of my friends love IPA also.

I think it's hard to say a person of a certain sex likes a certain thing. I mean, I don't say, "Men LOVE oatmeal stout". I'm sure some do. But I am equally sure some do not.

Anyway, if your girlfriend likes lighter beers without a hoppy flavor, maybe use a noble hop or a "clean" hop variety instead of cascade which is decidedly citrusy. Say, crystal hops. Or saaz (like in Pilsner Urquell). Sterling is a really nice hop variety for flavor and aroma in a lighter beer.

Yooper said:
Maybe the women you know do, but I don't know of one woman that would touch a strawberry flavored "beer".

My favorite beer style is IPA, and some of my friends love IPA also.

I think it's hard to say a person of a certain sex likes a certain thing. I mean, I don't say, "Men LOVE oatmeal stout". I'm sure some do. But I am equally sure some do not.

Anyway, if your girlfriend likes lighter beers without a hoppy flavor, maybe use a noble hop or a "clean" hop variety instead of cascade which is decidedly citrusy. Say, crystal hops. Or saaz (like in Pilsner Urquell). Sterling is a really nice hop variety for flavor and aroma in a lighter beer.

Sorry for lumping women "chicks" all in one group. Wasn't my intent and I totally appreciate women who enjoy beers of any persuasion.
I was only giving out an idea as the OP was soliciting them. My two cents wasn't what he was looking for and I'm ok with that too.
Many of the women i know enjoy fruit beers, many enjoy IPA's etc etc.
Certainly wasn't trying to tick anybody off with my comments.
Sorry
Oh.. I like oatmeal stouts too

worksnorth, I doubt you ticked anyone off. And I agree with Yooper, people whether men or women can't be categorized for taste. I for one wouldn't worry about making a beer my GF would drink, if she didn't like the beer I make, she can buy, or make her own. I'm not meaning to put the OP down, I'm just saying when I try to "please" others, I'm usually frustrated, and resentful. Which of course was my own fault. Just for example, OP goes out of his way to make something his girlfriend will like, spends the time and effort, and lovingly brings this brew to fruition. He adoringly presents her with his love offering of carefully nurtured elixir. She tastes it and say's "Bleh, I don't like it". How is OP going to feel? Could ruin a perfectly good relationship! Disclaimer: Just My Own Stupid Opinion.

Back