first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jv0021

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone, like many people I got a brewing kit for Christmas. I boiled my first batch last night and put it in my 6 gallon fermentation bucket. Couple questions, I haven't seen any bubbles in the airlock yet but I read that's normal. When will I know it's ready to transfer to my carboy? I also did not activate my yeast. Is that okay? The yeast said to but the instructions did not. Not sure what kind of yeast it is I got a ingredients kit from my local brewer. How often should I take SG readings? Anything else I should know for my first brew? Thanks for the help.

Congrats on your first brew, you didn't waste any time. What did you brew, and what type of yeast did you use? Also, you don't have to transfer it to a carboy, you can let it ride in the primary fermenter. There are endless debates on that topic, but considering this is your first brew, why complicate things?:mug:

If you didn't hydrate the yeast, it may take a little bit longer for it to kick in. If you haven't seen any bubbles after 72 hours, then take a gravity reading. If it's the same as it was when you pitched the yeast, then you are going to need to repitch.

My guess though, you'll see something happening by tonight, at the latest tomorrow, unless the top of your bucket doesn't have a good seal. Check that by going around and pressing down on the seal. As I've already said a couple of times now, don't worry, it just likely is taking longer since you didn't re-hydrate the yeast.

A lot of people say airlock activity doesn't really mean anything, which is kind of true, but if you haven't seen anything in 3 days, then i would take a gravity reading, to see where it's at. Give it a couple of days though.

congrats on the first brew and I agree with the above poster, no need to transfer to secondary, just to transfer it. I always give my beers three weeks in primary, then only secondary if I don't have an open keg or am dry hopping.

I am brewing "Brewers best" American Light, The yeast is "Ale yeast from Austria the only number I see on it is "e 11 g" couple more questions I came up with. Right now it is in my basement and its 59F according to the themo on the bucket, Is that to cold? Also while boiling it when it was time to add the sugar and the other powder I stired it in. I dont think I was suppose to do that? There was very little sediment when I transfered it to the bucket so I might have goofed up.

jv0021 said:
I am brewing "Brewers best" American Light, The yeast is "Ale yeast from Austria the only number I see on it is "e 11 g" couple more questions I came up with. Right now it is in my basement and its 59F according to the themo on the bucket, Is that to cold? Also while boiling it when it was time to add the sugar and the other powder I stired it in. I dont think I was suppose to do that? There was very little sediment when I transfered it to the bucket so I might have goofed up.

Yes that is too cold. I'd find a spot ASAP to get that temp to 65-70. You shouldn't have added any actual sugar, only liquid and/or malt extract. If that's what you're talking about, then yes you should have stirred it in as to prevent it burning on the bottom of your pot.

Kits usually come with a bag of powdery sugar for use with bottling. If that's the sugar you used, don't worry about your beer, but You'll need priming sugar come bottling time.

If I read op's post well it looks like he stirred in the yeast while boiling and adding 'sugar and other powder'. If you stirred in the yeast when boiling you most probably killed it. Is there any activity yet?

If I read op's post well it looks like he stirred in the yeast while boiling and adding 'sugar and other powder'. If you stirred in the yeast when boiling you most probably killed it. Is there any activity yet?

He did not say that in his OP.

Back