Chiller broke, going no chill, might be screwed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmp138

Reaction score
So after a 24 hour brewing nightmare, I finally throw in my spices at flameout, turn on the hose for the chiller and see water start spewing. Didn't get much in the wort so I'm not too concerned about that. I didn't have anything to put my keggle in for an ice bath so I just sanitized a lid and put it over the opening to the kettle. I then soaked some paper towels in sanitizer and put them around the edge of the lid.

So basically I'm just going to wait for this hell brew to cool down to pitching temps, throw it in a carboy and pitch my yeast.

I brewed sac's honey imperial porter so I'm not worried about chill haze, I'm just worried that this is going to totally F up my beer.

Thanks for any advice.

If your joints go bad. I didn't have any teflon tape when I made mine, so mine leaked all over the place - but water still made it through. I threw a few dish rags over the joints and chilled anyway.

Yeah my soldering really sucks alot and it finally just ate it. Normally I would just throw some rags over it, but it was a total blowout. Basically I'm just wondering if its going to destroy my beer letting it sit there covered for probably 12 hours then siphoning over to the carboy.

If you have it covered up, why not just run the hose on the side of the pot to cool it a bit faster? Or sit it in the sink full of water. While that isn't as good as an ice bath, it is better than nothing.

It's not going to ruin it. As long as you're sanitary you probably won't be able to tell. Though the beer will most likely seem a little more bitter since it's staying at a hot temperature for longer.

If your joints go bad. I didn't have any teflon tape when I made mine, so mine leaked all over the place - but water still made it through. I threw a few dish rags over the joints and chilled anyway.

I usually re-roll when my joints go bad........lol

Latest posts

Back