EXTREMELY tight gas ball valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcorn

Reaction score
I have a very hard time pulling off my gas ball lock valves off of all five of my ball lock corny kegs. Each keg has it's own ball lock valve and I am tired of busting my knuckles to remove them. Is there a way of lubricating them with food grade lube or something?

Also make sure your posts are correct. I find that ball lock posts can be really tight if I put the wrong QD on the wrong post. Or get my posts swapped.

I will snatch some from work at the pepsi plant lol valves are on correct just so dang hard to pull off

jcorn said:
I will snatch some from work at the pepsi plant lol valves are on correct just so dang hard to pull off

Sweet, handy to be able to get that at work! Can up get me a box of the 2L performs for storing yeasties?! ;)

Also make sure your posts are correct. I find that ball lock posts can be really tight if I put the wrong QD on the wrong post. Or get my posts swapped.

I learned that when I had to use a pliers and saw to take my gas post off the liquid :(

The correct name is disconnect not ball valve( that what you put on your brew pot)
anyway I have seen some kegs get very hard to attach and detach when using the new universal poppets. That could be an issue. If it's not The problem, use keg lube like recommended and it should fix the problem.

Crap I did call them ball valves, haha. I did not even notice that until you pointed it out. I have not been sleeping much. I guess it is starting to show... got some food grade lube so hopefully it works to my advantage on the quick disconnects. The posts that I am attaching to all say gas on them unless someone has somehow attached a liquid post to a gas post prior to buying them.

Food grade grease made all the difference. These babies slip on and off now with ease. When they got colder they seemed much harder to detach.

Back