Atypical fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RchanceN

Reaction score
I'm at about 60 hours after pitching Notty at 60F. I have krausen and steady airlock activity, but the wort (or almost beer?) itself shows no visible signs of fermentation. No yeast clouding it up, no color change, no currents, no swirling show of trillions of hungry little beasts. I've never had anything like this happen and was just curious if others have. It's really strange to look at...like I pitched ghost yeast or something.

If you have krausen and airlock activty, you HAVE fermentation, whether it looks like other ferementations or not. Just because something is acting differently doesn't mean something's wrong....I personally don't believe there is ever a "typical" fermentation. The yeast are living organisms and I find they pretty much act according to their own will any way.

nottingham has been known to suck... I wont use it again. I did a brew with it in my basement one time took 4 days to fire, beer tasted like crap nice and watered down.

Thanks Revvy, not particularly worried, it just looks odd. It also just occurred to me that I used irish moss for the first time and chilled it faster by running ice water through my immersion chiller on this batch. I had A LOT more cold break material so maybe its just that the beer is clearer this time around.

Latest posts

Back