Gearmotor size requirements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got a gearmotor from work that they were not going to use. I don't know the specs on it. It looked stout enough for anything I would be putting through it.

I know HenryHill motorized his mill with a gearmotor and I think he spent like $60-80 on the internet. He might be able to provide specs.

http://www.crankandstein.net/

Crankandstein post suggestions on how to do it - see the links they share near the top of this webpage - but I don't think there are any "specs" per se.

Torque - fairly high, so you don't have to feed in your grain a little at a time.

Mine is a right-angle, 62 rpm (slow. you can go up to 500). don't remember the torque. 1/17th HP.

Probably slow on the RPM and overkill on the torque - when you gear down the speed, you gear up the torque. I'd toss in a rock to see if it would stop it, but I don't want to tear up my mill.

all that said, find an inexpensive motor. Build it!

The rough Formula is "Hp=Rpm*Torque(Lb-ft) / 5252"
so Hang Glider's gearmotor is producing 4.9 'lb of torque, or 58.8 "lb of torque.

Latest posts

Back