So I degassed my wine...and nothing happened...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukebuz

Reaction score
So, as the title says, I used my degasser and power drill to degass the my wine (5x 1 gallons, and 1x 5 gallons - and the other thing that happened was they spun into a vortex - and no bubbles came out. Spun the other way, shook, mixed, etc...no bubbles.
Am I wasting my time? Wine doesn't need degassing? They are all various fruit wines, only made 6-8 weeks ago...
Help!

Most wines do not need degassing- all you'll succeed in doing is ruining the wine by oxidizing.

It's common to degas in kit wines, which are rushed to bottle, but not for other wines.

Yooper said:
Most wines do not need degassing- all you'll succeed in doing is ruining the wine by oxidizing. It's common to degas in kit wines, which are rushed to bottle, but not for other wines.

Oh no!! I did the same thing to my strawberry wine yesterday. I didn't seem I be getting any results either. I stopped after 30 seconds or so because it seemed like all I was doing was adding more air into it. I hope that I didn't ruin it!

Most wines do not need degassing- all you'll succeed in doing is ruining the wine by oxidizing.

It's common to degas in kit wines, which are rushed to bottle, but not for other wines.

Ah...thanks for the pointer. Us newbies have so much information out here, it's hard to know what is needed, and what is meant for a different process.
I didn't spin it much - after I noticed nothing was happening. So, I didn't oxygenate too bad.
I'm in no big rush to bottle - I was just helping it along...figuring I was doing good!!
Guess not...

Oh no!! I did the same thing to my strawberry wine yesterday. I didn't seem I be getting any results either. I stopped after 30 seconds or so because it seemed like all I was doing was adding more air into it. I hope that I didn't ruin it!

30 seconds of spinning won't hurt you. It was no worse than a racking from one container to another. Just leave it alone (like I intend to do) and let it settle/clear on it's own.

Latest posts

Back