Feedback on an American Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcarter1227

Reaction score
Hi anyone that can provide some insight on this recipe I have been working on for an american stout.

10lbs American 2 row pale
1lb Chocolate malt
12 oz crystal 60
8oz roasted barley
4 oz black patent

Hops

1oz chinook 11%aa 60 minutes
.50 oz cascasde 7.5%aa 30 minutes

Yeast safeale us-05

ibu 47.6
abv 6.3%
color 43 srm

I was thinking about mashing this around 156 to leave some body to it. Again any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Looks good. Very similar to an American Stout recipe I used to use quite often, though I do like a good bit of flaked barley/oats for a rich mouthfeel. I would probably mash a bit lower, it is better to be drier than sweet in a style like this. Lastly, I don't think a 30 min hop addition is necessary. Go with a bittering hop at 60 and an ounce finishing hop at flameout, like cascade/amarillo for better aroma.

i have a lot of flaked oats on hand and also a lot of flaked wheat. I really dont want to make a trip the lhbs unless i really have to. Would I be fine adding the flaked oats/flaked wheat and how much would you reccomend adding to the grist? I was looking at some other recipes and see about 2lbs average of the flaked barley. Would 2lbs be ok for this recipe?

Hops Ive decided to stick with the chinook to bitter and 1 oz cascade at flameout.

Latest posts

Back