brewstand build question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I have been contemplating building a brewstand. I will do a gravity three tier system but the height of the HLT is a concern to me. I know I cannot be the first one to think of this but I cant find it with search...Has anyone put the HLT on a lift? A geared electric or even hand crank that will lower it to fill and heat, then lift it up to drain into the mash tun? I saw the tippy dump, but I am talking something that will raise it a few feet to drain via ball valve.. I have no desire to climb on a ladder or steps and try to pour water in a tank.

im not sure where i saw it but someone did one of those chain pulley lift systems in their garage. the pulley was attached to a track on the ceiling so it could be lifted and then moved 8 feet or so one way or another.

explanation might not be best but i think it would be the cheapest most efficient way to do something like that if u could find it.

Deer hunters have been pondering this question and solved it. There are a few motorized tree stands that operate on the principle of a screw shaft and platform. It wouldn't be that difficult (or cheap) to design and build a platform (on which your HLT sits), connected to a long threaded rod attached to a motor. When the motor comes on, the rod turns and the platform is lifted or lowered depending on which direction the rod turns. It would probably lift fairly slow... but it's an idea

I have a 3-tier stand and typically always keep my HLT on the top tier, unless i'm dumping excess water out after a brew day. I generally use a step ladder and fill it (3-4 gallons at a time) with water using one of my ale pails -- works out fine.

one pump can do both, just have to move the lines is all, of course you can only do 1 at a time. I believe I saw one where the discharge was on a lid which made moving the discharge simple. A person then only had to mess with choosing the suction. Then there are others who hard piped everything and just had to change the valve lineup.

Latest posts

Back