Dry hopping in a keg - Can I filter afterwards?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmckee56

Reaction score
I just transferred a Southern Tier - Pale Ale Clone to my corny keg and I added Amarillo pellets in the keg (muslin bag) to dry hop for 4 days. When complete, can I filter the beer without stripping any of the aroma and/or flavor added during the dry hop period? I have 5 and 1 micron cartdridges available to use. Which would you recommend to clear out any hop and yeast sediment that will remain?

Appreciate your input.

Salute! :mug:

Cold & time will cause the sediment to drop. Other methods take something out that you just spent time putting in.

Besides the above comment I personally use a 1 micron filter and push my beer into another keg as slow as it will allow...usually about 4lbs of CO2 does it. I have not, I repeat, have not lost anything in my flavor and also have reduced most of the yeast for a beautiful clarity. Hop character will be lost over time, however. Something to think about...drinking those Amarillo's young! And, since you like Amarillo, try Citra!

My plan is to use a second keg setup as described above. I have the housing and will pick up a 1 microm cartridge to filter. I really want to have this beer clear as I plan to bottle several and enter it in a local competition. That of course will only happen if the beer is a good brew when finished (I am certain it will be :cross:).

Great! Good Luck! My beer comes up really clean with this method. I use a Blickman Beer Gun and it really helps gets my beer bottled and carbonation dialed in easily. All of the brews I have entered in competition the comments were that they loved the clarity and carbonation...taste guidelines and preferences are another thing (yes, I have won!).

Great! Good Luck! My beer comes up really clean with this method. I use a Blickman Beer Gun and it really helps gets my beer bottled and carbonation dialed in easily. All of the brews I have entered in competition the comments were that they loved the clarity and carbonation...taste guidelines and preferences are another thing (yes, I have won!).

Good for you (and me too I hope!). Congratulations on the wins.

Back