Souring a Quad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irrenarzt

Professional Homebrewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just racked an 11% Quad onto 4 pounds of dried tart cherries along with oak chips, 2 vials of Belgian Sour Mix 1, and 2 of B. Brux.

Think it'll sour at this high ABV? I already have a non sour Quad aging with tart cherries in an oak barrel so I figured WTH?

Should be fun but I'm hoping 11% isn't too strong for the bugs. It's borderline but I have high hopes.

I seem to recall White Labs and Wyeast both stating their pedio and lacto strains fall off after 8 or 10%, I forget which. However, brett will definitely not be deterred, so at least you will get that funk. If you don't get enough sourness you can always adjust post-fermentation with lactic acid.

I've heard people say that the strain of pedio that lost abby and Russian river (not that they are the same, or not that I know) has is really tolerants for high alcohol. But Ive not tried to use the dregs from their bottles.

I have a quad at 9% I added only the WLP sour mix to, and it took 18 months before it started to sour. I'm finally going to bottle it next week (after 2+ years) when my 375's get here.

I've heard people say that the strain of pedio that lost abby and Russian river (not that they are the same, or not that I know) has is really tolerants for high alcohol. But Ive not tried to use the dregs from their bottles.

I have a quad at 9% I added only the WLP sour mix to, and it took 18 months before it started to sour. I'm finally going to bottle it next week (after 2+ years) when my 375's get here.

You may get sournes but with it already fermented I don't think you will. If you pitched it in the beginning you very well would have ended up with some sourness. Of course don't take our word for it, you can just wait and see what happens. I did a oud bruin that started at 1.072 (I think) and it's PLENTY sour approaching 10%abv using an ECY20 culture. It's only been 6 months too.

I realize this was poor planning on my behalf. I made a quad but it stalled at 1.028. Finally it restarted and finished up at 1.016 or so but in the meantime I rebrewed it as I was really wanting this recipe to kick some arse as on paper it seemed like such a nice recipe. That's when I decided to attempt to go sour with the rebrew as the first batch was tasting really nice but I should have added the bugs earlier than I did. Oh well.

It's a nice beer so even if it's not as sour as I might like, I should get some brett funk into it. Worst case I can dose it with some lactic acid as suggested. I also don't mind waiting as I have plenty of beer on hand to keep me occupied.

Back