Another FG question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StudentBrewer

Reaction score
My IIPA has been in the primary for 8 days. It started at 1.090 and as of about 15 mintues ago is down to 1.018. How low can it be expected to go? (It's already gone lower than I though it would) This is an extract/specialty grains recipe.

Thanks

It depends on a few things. What is your grain bill? If you have a lot of specialty grains like crystal malt that don't convert to alcohol it should finish out higher. If this is an AG beer it could be that the mash temperature was lower. This will lead to more fermentables in the wort. The type of yeast you used will have an effect as well. Different yeasts have different rates of attenuation (how much of the wort is fermented into alcohol). Running your gravities through ProMash, I get an alcohol content of 9.5% by volume. The attenuation is 80% which seems high to me. Did you add sugar or honey to the wort? Are you sure your gravity readings are accurate?

I wouldn't think it would go much lower, if at all. Only way to know for sure is to let it do its thing and take another gravity reading in a few days.

Richbrewer --This was an extract/specialty grain recipe. I also added some turbinado sugar to the recipe. The yeast was WL001. Other than that, there was 1lb pale malt and 3/4lb crystal malt.

Back