First brew, nb caribou slobber extract question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmoney05

Reaction score
Just did my first kit, and I'm seeing conflicting information on whether to move it to secondary after fermentation is complete, after a few weeks, or just leaving it in primary for a month and letting it slowly carb up in a keg for a few weeks after

Secondary is really just a way to further clarify your beer. If you leave it in primary for a week or two after fermentation is complete, you'll essentially achieve the same result.

I"ve never gone a month in primary, although some people do. I'd be more inclined to leave it in the fermenter for 2-3 weeks, and then keg when fairly clear.

Well in two weeks I have to take of for another two weeks so would it be better to leave it in primary or switch it over to secondary for a couple weeks.

If you're gonna keg this beer, I would just skip the secondary and move it to the keg. Then just dump the first pint that's pulled if you have some sediment in it.

NB Caribou Slobber was my first beer too. I moved it to secondary with no bad effects. There's nothing wrong with doing it. It helps you learn one method. But over time you'll find a preference and it may or may not include a secondary. Suffice to say, enough folks on HBT have proven that secondary fermentation is not necessary. One thing I can tell you is that Caribou Slobber is delicious!

If you're gonna keg this beer, I would just skip the secondary and move it to the keg. Then just dump the first pint that's pulled if you have some sediment in it.

That's exactly what I'd do to. No harm may come from a longer primary, but it certainly isn't necessary. Ferment two weeks at optimum fermentation temperature, then keg. That's what I do for 90% of my ales.

I can put It in the keg after 2 weeks in primary, should I let it carb up slowly around 10psi or just leave it sealed at room temp?

I can put It in the keg after 2 weeks in primary, should I let it carb up slowly around 10psi or just leave it sealed at room temp?

It doesn't matter. It should be finished, and fairly clear. If you want to leave it at room temperature, it won't hurt it. If you want to put it in the kegerator, it won't hurt it.

thanks Ill go ahead and let it start slowly carbing up then while im out of town, Ill just really be careful when i rack it out of the primary next week to keep the sediment levels low

Back