New System = New Fun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As you guys can tell I've been putzing around looking to upgrade to full AG 5-gallon system. I've done maybe 5 or 6 AGs in my day, maybe 5 or 6 PMs and 5-10 extracts.

Well it's kind of fun getting all new stuff and tossing out the old givens from my system and getting ready to get some constands for my new system; like system loss, efficiency, temp drops and all that good stuff.

Again HBT is continually a wealth of knowledge, and I look forward to irritating people with questions like "why does my efficiency suck?", "batch or fly sparge". etc. etc.

Ha, right now I am checking my MLT for leaks. I get 1 small drip every 10-15 minutes out of it. I'm going to go ahead and not worry about that.

I got a 10-gallon igloo cooler, and I picked up a kewler kit to replace the valve and I got a bazooka screen. Like I said I get a tiny leak off the kewler kit, but nothing huge. I was debating a FB but the screen was considerably cheaper.

Actually if you have a bit of leaking just pick up some cpvc cement for fixing potable water pipes, I used that on my cooler and it worked perfectly!

You can apply it inside or outside. I would suggest inside as you dont want stuff leaking into the cooler wall.

After a couple weeks I finally sealed the thing up. Man you have to work quickly with cpvc cement.

I got some drops on the bottom of my mash tun. I'm assuming I don't need to kill myself to clean them up because they'll withstand the temp, and anyways it's non-toxic?

"why does my efficiency suck?", "batch or fly sparge".

Let me save you some time:

- Bad Crush

- Batch

There ya go.

;)

After a couple weeks I finally sealed the thing up. Man you have to work quickly with cpvc cement.

I got some drops on the bottom of my mash tun. I'm assuming I don't need to kill myself to clean them up because they'll withstand the temp, and anyways it's non-toxic?

Yup, I have had cpvc cement in mine since I built it, no problems. Its non-toxic once it dries.

Back