getting ready for AG...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jburkh

Reaction score
So I've decided to take the plunge into what I hope to be the fabulous world of all grain brewing. Well, I suppose it's not quite a plunge because I'm slowly working on acquiring the necessary equipment, but more like a comfortable descent. Anyway I currently have an assemblage of parts to brew a fine batch of extract, 6 gal. aluminum stock pot, 1 glass primary and 2 secondary carboys, bottling bucket, et cetera. I need to build a lautering system. I've been looking around and I think that converting a 5 gal. beverage cooler appeals to my average batch size. I would need to buy another pot probably 8 gal. I would guess. I'm also thinking of drilling and adding a spiggot and hose to convert my current pot into one well suited for sparging.
To under line the question. What I'm looking for is a set of detailed instructions for building the equipment that I need or might want to start brewing AG. Thanks in advance.

There's a pretty good article on the wiki for converting a cooler to a mash tun (and some other items you may want). You can also search on the forum and there are many threads on the subject. As someone who only a couple months ago switched to all grain brewing, you'll definitely enjoy it more. :)

Ball valve bulkhead fittings for $15 from Lowes!! built 2 today, seal perfectly, I cannot wait to use them with my 10 gal system! See here for the parts detail! Pics to follow....

(1) A-836 1/2"MIP x 1 1/2" Brass pipe nipple
(1) 1/2" x 1/2" FPT x Barb female adapter
(1) 3/4" flat washer
(2) 1 1/8" OD x 5/8" ID Rubber grommets (for inner and outer seal)
(1) 1/2" x 1/2" MPT x barb Male adapter
(1) 1/2" threaded ball valve

The Pol

This is from another post... also look here for pics and my stand. Any Questions? Feel free to send me a message here!!

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/PolTavern/

Thanks guys, The information on wiki is exactly what I was looking for.

Back