Blichmann burner why no oil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PastorofMuppets

brewing beer leads to happy life
Reaction score
I just was gifted a new Blichmann burner. It totally rocks.

I was curious on the owners manual it clearly stated NEVER use this to heat cooking oil.

Can anyone tell me why its any different than any other burner in that regard?

Not sure why, it shouldn't be any different than any other burner. Just watch your heat output so you don't "burn/scorch" the oil and you should be fine.

Probably because oil can catch fire, and they'd like to avoid lawsuits and whatnot. That being said, the first thing I did with my Blichmann burner was fry catfish, and it worked great. So you can use it to heat oil, but since they make their stuff for beer brewing they probably won't endorse using it for any other purpose, capability notwithstanding.

I dont think you can scorch oil but you can get it so hot it lights on fire on the top and then it is very dangerous, but that can happen on the fricken stove top.

If a table spoon of water hits super heated oil it will explode which is the cause of many turkey oil fires, but that doesnt explain blichmanns all caps warning.

I bet it is all about covering their ass in case of an idiot doing something idiotic and suing them.

I bet it is all about covering their ass in case of an idiot doing something idiotic and suing them.

You mean like heating a few gallons of oil on a tripod?

http://www.nfpa.org/itemDetail.asp?...rs/Causes/Cooking/Turkey fryers&cookie_test=1

:ban: :mug:

My guess is that the CYA answer is approximately correct, but this is a case where the 'Y' is both you and the manufacturer. If you insisit on heating a large quantity of oil over a burner, you want to use one designed for that purpose. You want to be absolutely sure it's not going to tip, and I think it'd be nuts to use one that doesn't have an automatic temperature shutoff.

Latest posts

Back