WLP644 -Brett B Trois

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Modern Times has a 30 bbl batch of my Brett Trois IPA (using Brett Drie from BSI) in the tank now. It took some begging and swapping with other breweries to get enough Citra and Centennial (no problem getting Chinook) to do it. Should be on draft around San Diego in the next month or so. Fermenation was chugging along nicely at 74F the first few days, but has slowed down, hopefully it doesn't completely stall. Looking forward to seeing how the result compares to my homebrew scale batch!

Modern Times has a 30 bbl batch of my Brett Trois IPA (using Brett Drie from BSI) in the tank now. It took some begging and swapping with other breweries to get enough Citra and Centennial (no problem getting Chinook) to do it. Should be on draft around San Diego in the next month or so. Fermenation was chugging along nicely at 74F the first few days, but has slowed down, hopefully it doesn't completely stall. Looking forward to seeing how the result compares to my homebrew scale batch!

Thats awesome, I wish I could try it.

smokinghole said:
Some recent research has revealed certain enzymes produced by the yeast cleave bonds on hop compounds producing aromatic and flavor compounds that the hops do not contain prefermentation. So adding hop products post fermentation like some industrial light beer breweries do lack the fermented hop oil complexity of a fermented hop. Then again its not like their beers have any hop complexity anyhow but when analyzed on a gas chromatograph mass spectrometer there is a difference.

If I may ask can you post the source to this info? I'd love to read more about it.

Thats awesome, I wish I could try it.

We'll be bottling a portion of it too (an idea I'm not super-enthusiastic about), so you might be able to score some if you trade.

If I may ask can you post the source to this info? I'd love to read more about it.

Glycosides are one of the types of molecules in question. For the Love of Hops has some decent info, but not a lot of specifics are out there at this point. Chad Yakobson has talked about their relationship with Brett as well.

I will have to look around for the article I was reading. I think I saved it somewhere. That's the issue with me. I read stuff retain some of the info and forget exactly where I got the info. The article was pretty cool they did a test for a specific enzyme and did multiple fermentations with saccharomyces yeasts and brettanomyces yeasts. They then did whatever their analyses were and singled out a saccharomyces with a high level of the enzyme and a brettanomyces with a very high level of production. The brett strain produced, if I remember correctly, more than double the saccharomyces strain.

Eureka! I remembered to email the link to myself. So here's the article.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2672.2007.03566.x/pdf

about to make my first brett ipa with the trois strain!! big starter is just finishing. i love what i have read in this thread, so i was inspired to go for it. got citra, mosaic, centennial, chinook, etc. haven't decided the recipe yet. if it comes out to my satisfaction it will be served at the netherlands 'brettanomyces and other wild beasts' festival (carnivale brettanomyces en andere wilde dieren, www.wildegist.nl/) that the bier koning is organizing this july in amsterdam!!

Oldsock said:

Wow this is so cool! Congrats Mike. I've been following the project and really look forward to trying some of the beers!

My Brett trois and Nelson pale ale just placed 3rd in a local comp in belgian specialty. Didn't expect it to do as well due to judging preferences and misconceptions to Brett, stoked though that it did as good as it did.

weeeee!! silly/pointless noobish video warning. 12 hours in and my first trois ferment is really off to the races. old school ferment; bucket and no cooling, only heating. going warm at 25c. can't wait to try it
i like bubbles

What do you guys suggest for the stepping up process of this yeast? How big of a starter for 100% fermentation?

Ailstock said:
What do you guys suggest for the stepping up process of this yeast? How big of a starter for 100% fermentation?

Stir plate is the fast growth but it is known to add a hint of acidity due to Brett's oxidative nature. Nothing overwhelming at all and I honestly don't pick it up in any if my Brett beers. You want lager sized starters for 100% ferm.

You want lager sized starters for 100% ferm.

THis seems to be the prevailing advice...but, FWIW, I did not know this when I did mine and only used an ale-sized starter (and only gave it a few days...also against the prevailing advice to give it more time) and my beer turned out excellent - probably one of the best tasting beers I've ever made.

THis seems to be the prevailing advice...but, FWIW, I did not know this when I did mine and only used an ale-sized starter (and only gave it a few days...also against the prevailing advice to give it more time) and my beer turned out excellent - probably one of the best tasting beers I've ever made.

Brett Trois/Drie seems to be more forgiving than some of the other strains. Really well suited for primary fermentation.I believe Chad has switched to ale-sized pitches for most of his beers at Crooked Stave.

Oldsock said:
Brett Trois/Drie seems to be more forgiving than some of the other strains. Really well suited for primary fermentation.I believe Chad has switched to ale-sized pitches for most of his beers at Crooked Stave.

Nice to know

I made a 2 liter starter on 4/18/13 from one 24 day old vial. Put it on a stir plate at 82F for 9 days. Counted 297 Billion cells before setting it aside at cellar temp. I didn't get a chance to use it until this past weekend. It had flocc'd and the starter beer was clear. On 6/20/13 I decanted and transferred to a sterile nalgene bottle. Performed another cell count including checking for viability with Alkaline Methylene Violet. I could only find one dead cell and it was way off the grid! Counted 302 Billion cells.
I brewed a slightly modified Helles wort (included 8% flaked wheat) and pitched the Brett Trois at 60F and will hold it there. No oxygenation and a pitching rate of 2 Million cells/mL/P. If it takes off, I'll try chilling it until it quits to see the lower temp limit of this strain. If it doesn't take off, I'll warm it till it does. I know it'll ferment at 65F.

Nate

For what it's worth, I did not really enjoy this yeast fermented cold. I did an all Brett IPA at 60F that came across as under attenuated and what I would describe as phenolic - smokey, almost plasticky. It fermented and fermented and fermented, with krausen lasting three weeks.

There are a bazillion other factors that could give you better results, but those are my results. Also, maybe in the right beer, these characteristics will work out. I'm curious to see what you get out of this.

I'll be using Trois for the first time and want to know if this plan looks good:

1. I have a Belgian pale that I'm cold crashing right now. When it is clear, I'll be transferring the beer to secondary, allow it to warm to ambient (66F) and pitch a vial of Trois. I will let this go to FG, probably a few months.
2. Use the Trois cake from #1 for a 100% Trois beer. Question- will this provide enough cells for the job? Should I cold crash first to drop more cells or will the cold temps negatively affect the cells?
3. Should I aerate the wort for the 100% Trois?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Just made a 1l starter to pitch into a Belgian blonde Sunday, I hope 4 days is adequate time. I'm using 1lb sugar, I was planning on adding it @5min, should I wait till 3 days after fermentation takes off, our leave it the way I have it?

meltroha said:
Just made a 1l starter to pitch into a Belgian blonde Sunday, I hope 4 days is adequate time. I'm using 1lb sugar, I was planning on adding it @5min, should I wait till 3 days after fermentation takes off, our leave it the way I have it?

Toss the sugar in at the end of your boil.

Thank you for posting your experience. I was hoping the high pitch rate would help with "off flavors" but we all know brett doesn't give a shat. I intend to raise the fermentation temp toward the end to help it clean up. I did an all Brett Trois IPA that turned out awesome at 68F ramped up to 71F. It's amazing how fresh it tastes 5 months later. I will post an update on the Brett Trois Helles when the time comes. Thanks again berebrando.

For what it's worth, I did not really enjoy this yeast fermented cold. I did an all Brett IPA at 60F that came across as under attenuated and what I would describe as phenolic - smokey, almost plasticky. It fermented and fermented and fermented, with krausen lasting three weeks.

There are a bazillion other factors that could give you better results, but those are my results. Also, maybe in the right beer, these characteristics will work out. I'm curious to see what you get out of this.

After reading about this strain, I am excited to brew a pale or ipa with this. Planning on brewing weekend after 4th of july and wanted to get a starter going july 3rd. Any issue with letting a starter run for 10/11 days?

zendog said:
I'll be using Trois for the first time and want to know if this plan looks good:

1. I have a Belgian pale that I'm cold crashing right now. When it is clear, I'll be transferring the beer to secondary, allow it to warm to ambient (66F) and pitch a vial of Trois. I will let this go to FG, probably a few months.
2. Use the Trois cake from #1 for a 100% Trois beer. Question- will this provide enough cells for the job? Should I cold crash first to drop more cells or will the cold temps negatively affect the cells?
3. Should I aerate the wort for the 100% Trois?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

If you use the Trois in secondary after a primary with a Belgian strain (that's how I'm reading this), then technically you will have a mixed culture for your second "100%Trois" beer.

Edit (need to add more critique): your secondary cake cell count will probably be insufficient for primary fermentation. That said, I think Brett is a little more forgiving than Sacc when I comes to cell counts.

Some reports I've read indicate that Brett produces more acids when aerated. Not sure if this is consistent with Trois. You probably don't need any aeration in excess of the aeration that comes with racking to a carboy. I'd be interested to hear what other experience is out there with aeration and Trois.

Threetall said:
After reading about this strain, I am excited to brew a pale or ipa with this. Planning on brewing weekend after 4th of july and wanted to get a starter going july 3rd. Any issue with letting a starter run for 10/11 days?

I recommend a 10 day starter with any Brett strain. Trois is no exception. Good luck!

So with the 10 day starters, are you guys putting them on stir plates, or just having them sit out? And also, is it just one starter for the 10 days or should I decant add another starter at some point?

Ailstock said:
So with the 10 day starters, are you guys putting them on stir plates, or just having them sit out? And also, is it just one starter for the 10 days or should I decant add another starter at some point?

The stir plate will increase your cell count exponentially, I only use the stir plate anymore, I don't feel the acidity is that noticeable from the o2 exposure.

Alright, can I throw this in any carboy, or do I need to keep it separate from sacc beers?

Is a tropical Double IPA sounds good with 644? Galaxe/Nelson/Pacific Jade & Gem/Motueka/Etc... ?

Tiroux said:
Is a tropical Double IPA sounds good with 644? Galaxe/Nelson/Pacific Jade & Gem/Motueka/Etc... ?

I imagine. That's what I'm going to be doing but with Citra, Galaxy, Pacific Jade, Motueka, Wakatu.

Some reports I've read indicate that Brett produces more acids when aerated. Not sure if this is consistent with Trois. You probably don't need any aeration in excess of the aeration that comes with racking to a carboy. I'd be interested to hear what other experience is out there with aeration and Trois.

Brett does, indeed produce acetic acid in the presence of O2.
With Trois I have found the acidity noticeable when aerating to levels I normally would with sacc. That being said, you're not going to produce a sour beer just something very lightly tart. So, if you think a touch of tartness would be pleasant in the beer you've got in mind then aerate, if you don't think a light tartness would add anything then don't aerate. It should attenuate well either way.

Just finished 100% Trois Belgian blonde ale, hit all or #s! Was going to add 1/2- 1lb sugar after 3 days, this will get abv up around 7-7 1/2%, depending on attenuation. Should I do this? Has anyone done it with this strain? What was your method?

Just finished 100% Trois Belgian blonde ale, hit all or #s! Was going to add 1/2- 1lb sugar after 3 days, this will get abv up around 7-7 1/2%, depending on attenuation. Should I do this? Has anyone done it with this strain? What was your method?

Not sure what you are asking. Adding some sugar during fermentation is relatively common with some high alcohol beers (though in this case, I think you could have added it at the end of the boil). I imagine this approach will work just fine for you. What are your concerns?

What is the general consensus on fermentation temp for this yeast? Just 68 like a normal ale yeast?

meltroha said:
Can I use corn sugar? How long should I wait? Do I boil it first, or add it dry?

Yes, you can use corn sugar...or cane sugar...or any other fermentable sugar. You can probably wait as long as you want, but I would probably add it while fermentation is still active. I would also definitely boil it in a small amount of water before adding it tongue fermenter - even though you are using a Brett strain, you still want to make sure you are sanitary.

Thanks! Any good way to calculate abv with the late addition? I was just going to put it in my Beersmith app with actual og, and go with that number.

meltroha said:
Thanks! Any good way to calculate abv with the late addition? I was just going to put it in my Beersmith app with actual og, and go with that number.

Just add the sugar to the recipe - doesn't matter if it was added in the boil or after. Assuming it all ferments out, you'll get the same amount of alcohol.

Back