My regulator for my CO2 is going crazy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrismacleodw

Reaction score
I just ran out of CO2 yesterday so I went and swapped my 5lb bottle with a full one at my local home brew shop. I hooked it back up like I always do have never messed with the pressure (7 PSI) and now for some reason it pressuring my kegs to over 40 PSI I have tried everything I bleed my Kegs tried turning off the pressure to my kegs all that does is make the regulator go crazy and up to over 50 PSI what's the deal it was working fine yesterday?

Maybe the adjustment screw on the reg got bumped. Did you try turning it all the way down or is that what you meant when you said you tried turning the pressure to the kegs off?

So the adjustment screw on the regulator is all the way closed and the valve on the CO2 bottle is closed. The output pressure gage on the regulator now reads zero but when you open the valve on the Co2 bottle the regulator output pressure gage quickly jumps to 20 psi?

If that is the case sounds as though the regulator is broken.

That's what I am thinking I will just turn off the CO2 when I dispense from now on I really can't justify buying a new one since I leave back to Afghanistan here in less then 3 weeks I did just brew 15 more Gals so I'll just keep them at 20PSI till I get back I really don't think they will over carbonate at that PSI

Just reread your first post, initially pressure was shooting up to 50 psi and now 20 psi? That might be a good sign.

One side of the reg is connected to the full output pressure of the Co2 bottle, 500-600 psi and is read on the the high pressure gage directly opposite the input.

The top gage is the regulator adjusted output pressure. The pressure adjustment screw on the reg controls a spring loaded "valve" that will maintain set pressure. Normally, as the adjustment screw is turned clockwise the regulated output pressure increases. The pressure you dial in, shown on the regulator out gage is the same as is going into the keg. The seal that controls this valve this is is made of rubber and susceptible to foreign object damage.. Beer.

If you had carbonated beer before you ran out of gas the pressure in the keg was probably a little higher than the pressure in the CO2 tank, (CO2 tanks seem to go from 500 psi to zero quickly) which could beer to be pushed into the CO2 line, into the regulator and damage the seals on the "valve".

Beer push back into CO2 lines is why many people install check valves at their regulators or CO2 distribution manifolds.

If you have a one way check valve(s) protecting from this, then still sounds like the reg broke on you.

I'm dissappointed more people didn't post. Lot of keggers on here. Hopefully more people will post..

Back to Afghanistan. What you doing over there?

Edit: Just looked at your profile Soldier! Thank you for serving. God Bless, stay safe and here's to a speedy safe return!!

Back