Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been reading through this thread for about an hour now and have been reassured that everything is going just fine, many times over. Cheers to all of you knowledgeable and patient brewers out there.

Fermentation is visibly underway on my 2nd 5-gal batch. I've been following instructions from ingredient kits so far. I keep hearing that it's important to aerate the wort before pitching the yeast. (I have not been doing this) What is the best way to do this? I gave mine a stir when I pitched the yeast. (Like I said, fermentation went along as expected, I'm just trying to use the best methods possible)

Also, when is it okay to open the lid and take a gravity reading? Am I at risk of ruining my beer if I open the lid too much during fermentation? And how often do you check gravity?

Shearn, I usually avoid opening the fermenter until I believe fermentation is complete and I think it's good practice to open as seldom as possible. Looking through the thread there is a lot of good advice, but I think the most important advice one could give is for new brewers to really understand the process...and sometimes that takes time. I remember when I started a few years ago. I read How to Brew by John Palmer and I was both very interested in the science of it all, and also thinking that JP was taking things way too seriously. Only later did I realize that brewing is like golf. You catch a bug and can't stop thinking about it.

That said, understand the yeast, what it's doing, and why aeration is important. I've also seen people say that it's important that your fermentation doesn't take off TOO quickly and rapidly. Again, JP says the same thing. I believe it has something to do with the yeast using up valuable resources too quickly, but it also raises the temp of the wort significantly. Fermentation is a warming process.

To aerate, I usually cool my wort in the brew pot and pour it very vigorously into the fermentation bucket. This is not as possible with a carboy, so in that case use a sanitized whisk and whip the wort. My last batch I added yeast nutrient. Although most batches don't need it, mine was a fairly high gravity batch and really benefitted from it. I'm at 1.010 now and just about ready to bottle.

I'm at 72 hours plus and have no fermentation happening. This morning I tried swirling the wort gently, 12 hours later, nothing. I thought maybe I missed fermentation so I checked with the hydrometer, nothings happening, hydro reading is the same as it was when the wort was put in the bucket. I aerated this wort more than any batch before (poured back and forth between pot and bucket), added the yeast, stirred and covered. The wort was 70 degrees when the yeast was added. The yeast was Danstar Munich and it was rehydrated. Wort was kept in the basement at 65 degrees. Initial hydro reading was 1.051 as it is today. The kit was http://www.ldcarlson.com/public catalog/Brewers Best Recipes/1030_Weizenbier.pdf

So far I've moved the wort to a warmer room.....within the past few hours. I also stirred it up a bit (nicely) when I took the hydro reading.

Any thoughts? I don't have any of that strain of yeast, I do have Safale US-05 which I'm guessing wouldn't be great to use in this case.

Thanks for any help!

Ryan, I'd say that the US-05 is better than no yeast at all. I would guess your yeast was old. When you rehydrated, did you do so at a safe temp and did you see any actvity (bubbling)? Some kits are notorious for having old yeast. I almost always use liquid now as I believe it's superior to dry. I also discovered yeast nutrient, which I think I'll use in every batch from now on. It's cheap and it works really well.

Hello All...

I just made my first batch about 48 hrs ago.
I am brewing a Muntons Connoisseurs Export Pilsner.
I started getting airlock bubbles about 4 hrs after I put the lid on the fermenter.I get a bubble about every three seconds.Is this normal?Should there be constant bubbling or will it stay about every three seconds until fermentation is done?
Thanks for any input...AA...:mug:

Congrats on the first batch, Admiral! You got a still out back too? I got family down there somewhere and bourbon's always been a big favorite in my family.

Anyway, sounds real normal. Although I don't usually get activity in 4 hours, it is certainly possible. Keep an eye on it though. Sounds like your using a bucket and a kit. Check on it every once in a while to make sure your fermentation doesn't go nuts because it can clog the airlock. Doesn't usually happen with kits, but it can. As for the rate of bubbling, like everything else in brewing, it depends. It will probably speed up before it slows down.

Congrats on the first batch, Admiral! You got a still out back too? I got family down there somewhere and bourbon's always been a big favorite in my family.

Anyway, sounds real normal. Although I don't usually get activity in 4 hours, it is certainly possible. Keep an eye on it though. Sounds like your using a bucket and a kit. Check on it every once in a while to make sure your fermentation doesn't go nuts because it can clog the airlock. Doesn't usually happen with kits, but it can. As for the rate of bubbling, like everything else in brewing, it depends. It will probably speed up before it slows down.

Thanks for responding Songtre! Na no Still here.:D
Yea the other day I was about a hour away from Danville in a town called Bardstown Ky...That's where alot of the bourbon is made.
Thanks for the Advice I will keep a close eye on it and let you guys know how it turns out!

I'm having the exact same situation right now. I got some of the same yeast from NB and pitched it on Saturday morning. I went to the local shop and picked up some WB-06 tonight to repitch and when i came home and pulled the top off the bucket i had bubbles. That means it took almost 100 hours to start anything. I'm hoping its fermentation and not infection from me having to check on it so much. I'm going to let mine go, so i guess what i'm saying is give I would it a little more time. I don't know if this might be a problem similar to what they had with the Nottingham, but mine seems to be going now. I guess i'll just have to make another hefe to use the new yeast.

I ended up calling my LHBS and he said they've been having problems with this brand of kit lately. I didn't get too into the questions I asked but he sounded as if I wasn't the first one to complain of this problem recently. Anyway, he said pitching the US-05 would be fine, which is what I did. I still have no airlock activity but when I removed the airlock to get a peek inside I saw some bubbles/foam on top so I think it's starting to ferment. Mine ended up going about 100 hours before I repitched too and I'm also worried about infection....only because it had so much time to gain a foothold.

Ryan, I'd say that the US-05 is better than no yeast at all. I would guess your yeast was old. When you rehydrated, did you do so at a safe temp and did you see any actvity (bubbling)? Some kits are notorious for having old yeast. I almost always use liquid now as I believe it's superior to dry. I also discovered yeast nutrient, which I think I'll use in every batch from now on. It's cheap and it works really well.

Yeast expiration date was 10/2011. I think it was probably exposed to something that killed it at some point? Rehydration temp was 70 and I did not see any activity, just a bunch of sunken yeast which I didn't see a problem with at the time, but now that you brought it up I do usually get a bit of foam on top of the rehydrated yeast. I'm just glad I had some US-05 yeast in the fridge to fall back on. Hopefully this beer doesn't end up tasting like "satan's anus" :mug:

The last two batches I've made have gotten stuck fermentations after about 7 days in primary. Both of these had similarly small krausens (about 1/4"). The second batch I made sure to aerate the wort a lot, and rehydrated the yeast as per the instructions.

Both fermentations got stuck in the mid 1.030 range coming down from mid 1.050 range. Is it possible the yeast I used was expired? Or if its expired would it not have fermented at all? Used US-05

doing my first lager - pitched the yeast saturday afternoon. Pretty sure I under pitched for a lager (used 2 wyeast actavitor liquid packs for a 5 gal batch - no starter, did not "smack" it first either). Pitched it cold (50F), moved it to my lager fridge and set the temp to 50F

48 hours - nothing I was starting to get a bit worried (never had an ale lag this long before), started reading the forums found this thread and read the entire 37 pages. Also found a bunch of other posts about lagers taking longer to kick off. So I RDWHAHB and tried not to think about it. Trust the yeast.

60 hours - no change. I did another RDWHAHB even though it was well before noon - hey I felt better.

67 hours - ok time to pull a SG reading with the hydrometer. Go to the lager fridge open the door and what do ya know. The airlock is going steady and the krausen has formed. hydrometer reading shows fermentation is moving right along.

Had it not been for this thread I probably would of done something stupid.

so a big thank you to the OP and all the others that have chimed in. in 10 weeks or so if your around bend oregon look me up ;:mug:

I'm on my third batch of beer (Imperial Stout) and I've got a good grasp of how things should be going. Waiting for that bubbling airlock is a very stressful step in the process, especially when you are new to brewing! My first and third batches started soon after 12 hours but my second was still until about 36 hours! Go yeast, go!

doing my first lager - pitched the yeast saturday afternoon. Pretty sure I under pitched for a lager (used 2 wyeast actavitor liquid packs for a 5 gal batch - no starter, did not "smack" it first either). Pitched it cold (50F), moved it to my lager fridge and set the temp to 50F

48 hours - nothing I was starting to get a bit worried (never had an ale lag this long before), started reading the forums found this thread and read the entire 37 pages. Also found a bunch of other posts about lagers taking longer to kick off. So I RDWHAHB and tried not to think about it. Trust the yeast.

60 hours - no change. I did another RDWHAHB even though it was well before noon - hey I felt better.

67 hours - ok time to pull a SG reading with the hydrometer. Go to the lager fridge open the door and what do ya know. The airlock is going steady and the krausen has formed. hydrometer reading shows fermentation is moving right along.

Had it not been for this thread I probably would of done something stupid.

so a big thank you to the OP and all the others that have chimed in. in 10 weeks or so if your around bend oregon look me up ;:mug:

Look, if there is ample fermentable sugars in your wort, and you're using fresh yeast, and you know what to do so that you don't kill the yeast, it's inevitable. It's science....

Hello all,

I made my first batch Saturday night/early Sunday morning using a bucket and a recipe recommended by the owner of the local homebrew store. Everything went well until the grommet on the lid where the airlock attaches fell through into the wort as I tried to attach the airlock to the lid. I managed to MacGuyver a solution using Saran Wrap. OG was 1.043.

I saw no bubbling in the airlock all day Sunday, but figured that, if anything, it was a poor seal and to just let it sit. Monday, I awoke to find the airlock bubbling away happily. Yesterday, the pace picked up. I made a rough guess that it was bubbling at about 65 bubbles per minute. This morning, however, there was nothing. Same with this evening after work. Temp is 68 degrees and has remained so throughout.

I believe I'm correct to assume that fermentation will continue without many visible signs for several more days, and the only way to know when it's finished is to get a few consistent gravity readings. Which leads me to my question: when do I start taking those readings? Given the poor airlock, I'd prefer not to take any more readings than necessary.

Mahalo from Vermont.

vtirish,
Give it at least 7 days in the primary then take a reading. take another reading about a day or so later to see if it stabilized (it stabilizes when you get the same reading a couple days in a row). I like to leave beer in the primary for about 14 to 15 days but you could rack to a secondary after about 7-8 to get your grommet back (if you do not have a secondary you can pick up a clean 5 gallon paint bucket at your local hardware store and sanitize it (make sure it has a 1 or 2 on the bottom in a triangle (that denotes food grade). Your lid should fit on it or buy a lid and drill a hole it to accept the grommet and air lock.
Your fermentation is still going but if you have a poor seal it may not show bubbles or you may have a good seal and it is simply not that active.
Whatever the outcome may be, because you saw those aggressive bubbles, fermentation did commence at one point and you wil still end up with beer. Enjoy!
PJB

vtirish,
Give it at least 7 days in the primary then take a reading. take another reading about a day or so later to see if it stabilized (it stabilizes when you get the same reading a couple days in a row). I like to leave beer in the primary for about 14 to 15 days but you could rack to a secondary after about 7-8 to get your grommet back (if you do not have a secondary you can pick up a clean 5 gallon paint bucket at your local hardware store and sanitize it (make sure it has a 1 or 2 on the bottom in a triangle (that denotes food grade). Your lid should fit on it or buy a lid and drill a hole it to accept the grommet and air lock.
Your fermentation is still going but if you have a poor seal it may not show bubbles or you may have a good seal and it is simply not that active.
Whatever the outcome may be, because you saw those aggressive bubbles, fermentation did commence at one point and you wil still end up with beer. Enjoy!
PJB

Thank you!

On the other hand, contrary to popular belief, it's bad to rocket your fermentation off in 1-2 hours, either. There's a sweet spot that you should aim for in your cell count/pitching rate.

Cool! I just brewed my 2nd ever batch this past Sunday and have this same situation. My first batch began bubbling about 48 hours later, but here I am at 72 and there's no sign of it.

So since I'm on the topic of my 2nd batch, I'll just share my experience with it here.

I'm using "Brewer's Best" recipe kits. First one was a German Oktoberfest. I followed the directions straight through and added the yeast directly from the packet to the wort after it had cooled and I had added the extra water to bring it up to 5 gallons. I saw bubbling after 2 days and it kept bubbling for a couple days after that. All was well. The beer turned out great.

Then I read through this website:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter1-1.html
...and learned about rehydrating the dried yeast. The Brewer's Best directions just say to add the yeast. I looked at the yeast packet of this 2nd batch, their Scottish Ale, and saw that sure enough, it did have instructions on the packet for rehydrating before adding it to the wort. The first packet wrapper is long gone and was a different brand/labeling of yeast, so I have no idea what that packet said, if anything. I followed the directions on the packet.

I also upgraded this 2nd batch to using a much larger brew pot. The first batch was close to overflowing in the smaller pot, so I was a it stingy on the heat that time. After adding the LME and the DME, I boiled it for a very long time just trying to get a nice, big rolling boil, but I got only a bit of churning at the surface. Maybe our gas stove just doesn't have the thrust. Anyway, so I added the hops, followed the timings, turned off the boil and let it cool. When it was close to temp, I rehydrated the yeast. It said to do it for 15 minutes and don't stir until afterwards.
Last time, I added straight tap water to the wort. This time I tried first boiling 2.5 gallons ahead of time and set it aside, then 2.5 gallons for making the wort. When I put the two together, I had ...only 4 gallons? I had lost a whole gallon of water into steam during the prolonged LME/DME boil! So I just went ahead and added an extra gallon of tap water (we are on a well, no city water chemicals) to the wort.

After 15 minutes, it did have some bubbling in the yeast, but the glob of yeast was mostly dry in the center. The water hadn't soaked through. So I mixed it just a touch to get all of the yeast wet and let it sit for another 15min. Then I stirred and added it to the wort. This time I stirred the wort quite a bit to get the yeast nice and mixed in. Last time I just swished the spoon around a couple times, thinking that it had a few weeks to mix itself.

So I didn't bother going into the basement for two days, this time. Here it is going over 72 hours and no sign of bubbling in the trap. I peeled off the bucket top to have a nosy. It smells like it's fermenting, so I think it will be alright, though I do like seeing that trapped getting a good workout. Maybe I somehow missed that part during those first two days???

If I did anything stupid, please point it out. I know I'm making too many changes in my process from one recipe to the next, but I'll get that hammered out in due time.

I used to think that the lab training I got in bacteriology and the like when in college was my biggest asset in mastering homebrewing techniques. After reading some of the responses in this thread, I'm beginning to think that the photographic darkroom work I did when a lot younger was at least as important. When you're in total darkness and can't turn on a light, or have your hands in a changing bag and can't see what's going on inside, you learn that you must rely implicitly on the techniques you have learned that everything "inside the box" is going on the way it's supposed to.

Another version of this was something my Marine pilot father, who spent a lot of time flying between tiny Pacific islands during WWII, used to say: "Always trust your instruments."

I just want to :mug: this thread, I also posted whining about no fermentation and then, two days later, poof I got a huge krausen and the whole thing went into high gear. So yeah, wait!

it usually takes my brews at least 24 hrs to really get cooking. That being said, I brewed a batch of Hefeweizen today (my usual recipe). The only difference being I made a 500ml starter from a batch of WLP380 yeast I washed from a Dunkelweizen last week. Beer went into the fermentor at 1:00 pm and by 6:00 it was going at a bubble per second into the blow off.... I think I'll make starters from now on.

So I didnt think I'd have to post to this thread ever. My 1st batch took off after 8hrs. My second batch (Belgian Pale w/ wyeast 3787 trappist HG) is at the 56hr mark with not even a hiccup or wisp of krausen. The smack pack got smacked, but never inflated... yeast was dated 3months ago... starting to worry... :(someone give me the obligatory "it will be okay, just wait" Thanks :) :mug:

edit: ambient temps 65-68...

Edit 2: Hehehe, upon closer inspection (flashlight into bucket and then lid open to take a peek) Looks as if there is a krausen starting to form and some seriously foul smells! Success! Thanks for the good vibes everyone :mug:

This is odd.

It's been about a week since my honey blonde went into the fermenter with a vial of White Labs California Ale Yeast (WLP051) and some yeast nutrient from AHS, and I've got no real activity. No krausen, no bubbles in the airlock. I took a quick hydro reading and it doesn't look like it's moved. I've got plenty of bubbles in the hydro reading, though, and a few bubbles on the surface of the brew. It doesn't smell off, and it seems to taste OK, but it's just a bit strange there's almost no visible activity.

I made a 2 pint starter as per White Labs instructions and 24 hours later no activity.....not looking good. I am glad I didnt make a full batch yet! Oh well. not all vials can be a winner. (This is WLP300)

I made a 2 pint starter as per White Labs instructions and 24 hours later no activity.....not looking good. I am glad I didnt make a full batch yet! Oh well. not all vials can be a winner. (This is WLP300)

What "activity" are you looking for?

Just like in the fermenter, starter fermentation isn't always dynamic...It doesn't matter one blip in your fermenter or your starter flask if the airlock bubbles or not (if you are using an airlock and not tinfoil,) or if you see a krauzen. In fact starter fermentation are some of the fastest or slowest but most importantly, the most boring fermentations out there. Usually it's done withing a few hours of yeast pitch...usually overnight when we are sleeping, and the starter looks like nothing ever happened...except for the little band at the bottom. Or it can take awhile...but either way there's often no "activity" whatsoever....

I usually run my stirplate for the first 24 hours, then shut it down, if you are spinning your starter it is really hard to get a krausen to form anyway, since it's all spinning, and there's often a head of foam on it from the movement.

All that really matters is that creamy band o yeast at the bottom.

rsz_yeast_starter_chilled_001.jpg

This is a chilled sample so it's flocculated, but even with an unchilled sample you should see a band of yeast at the bottom.

As it is I've only ever seen two krausens actually on my starter, and the evidence of one on the flask at the "waterline" once. But I've never not had a starter take off.

Now as for the " not all vials can be a winner." comment, I'm going to call shenanagins. Like this thread proves, yeast works more times then most of you new brewers think, it's just doesn't work the way YOU may want or expect it to, or WHEN you expect it to...it's not the yeast fault, it's yours for not just relaxing and giving it enough time.

Of god knows how many batches of beer I have made....I have never had fermentation not start, or a beer not turn out ok, and I have never ever ever had to add more yeast to a beer.

Except for infecting a starter due to poor sanitization, it really really is hard for yeast NOT to do what they do naturally.

That's how we can make a huge starter from the dregs of a bottle of beer...we let the viable (living) cells reproduce, and we feed them incrementally, and they continue to reproduce.

Seriously most LHBS know enough about what they are doing in terms of proper yeast storage, same with suppliers, it doesn't take a genius these days to know how to stick liquid (and dry yeasts usually) in a fridge, and ship in bulk in a styrofoam cooler.

We're talking billion dollar corporations (the yeast labs, and that's what they are LABS) and they aren't going to risk their rep by letting their suppliers and stores that carry their stuff , handle it improperly.

Besides...Yeast IS hardier than most newish brewers wanna give them props for...I mean You can't say that THIS YEAST was stored "properly" and yet, they managed to make a batch of beer with it.

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/17-08/ff_primordial_yeast

If we can make beer with that....even the tiniest viable glop in a barely smacked pack, is going to work as well. :D

Gang I can't say this enough;

Unless you bought liguid yeast through the mail in the heat of summer, or added your yeast into boiling wort. your fermentation will happen.

Yeast just don't not work anymore, that is an idea that came from the bad old days before homebrewing was legalized in 1978 when yeast came in hard cakes that travelled in hot cargo holds of ships ...And then sat under the lid of blue ribbon malt extract for god knows how long on grocery stores shelves.

But since 1978 yeast science has been ongoing and the yeasts of today, wet OR dry are going to work in 99.9% of the situations we have, if you give them the time to do so.

But every noob who starts an "my yeast is dead thread" just really pertpetuates a fear that has come from way back then, they got it from Papazain and other brew books written Thirty or more years ago, and were told horror stories of those yeasts, and it influenced their writing, which influence nervous noob brewers as well. AND he influenced Palmer and other book writers, who passed that yeast doubt onto generations of brewers.

And then, most of the time, you new brewers then freak each other out!!!! You see an "infection" or "Not fermenting" thread title, or 10 on a given day :D and most of you don't even read the story behind it...you just see a dozen yeast is f-d up threads...and then believe my yeast has the potential to be f-d up.

Well...
"Unless you bought liguid yeast through the mail in the heat of summer, or added your yeast into boiling wort. your fermentation will happen."

This is kind of what I did. It shipped on July 29 and arrived on August 3. I do not believe that all yeast fermentations will fail. This one may take off and I hope that it does. It was my understanding that having yeast out in 90+ deg weather may effect their health negatively (and that was just the temp in my state and not others it went through or the delivery trucks (which were not likely air conditioned)

I would say that 99% of the time things will go just fine. I was not expecting the same level of fermentation that you get from brewing a full batch but I would expect more yeast to be showing up that what I started off with :)

Personally I am not sure why the shop did not just hold my order until monday so that there would be less "idle time" for the package. Next time i will request them to do so.

As per my "Definitely infected" thread. It was definitely NOT infected. It took a whole 4 days to show the slightest of signs of fermentation. Listen to the elders, new brewers! They tend to know what they're talking about. :mug:

On the flipside of this discussion, is a falling kreusen a sign that fermentation is coming to an end?

I started a brew this past Saturday (OG 1.051) and it's supposed to ferment down to FG 1.014. I'd imagine that 5 days is still early days, is it possible that fermentation is coming to an end? I've not taken a gravity reading yet, I'll wait till this saturday (1 week post-fermentation).

On the flipside of this discussion, is a falling kreusen a sign that fermentation is coming to an end?

I started a brew this past Saturday (OG 1.051) and it's supposed to ferment down to FG 1.014. I'd imagine that 5 days is still early days, is it possible that fermentation is coming to an end? I've not taken a gravity reading yet, I'll wait till this saturday (1 week post-fermentation).

From what I've learned, you can reach your FG within just a couple days. But, this does not mean your yeast is done working. It spends another few days cleaning the place up a bit while the beer clears up a bit and develops it's flavor. My brown ale was at the FG in 4 days, but it is still a ways away from being the beer it will grow up to be.
Hope that helps

From what I've learned, you can reach your FG within just a couple days. But, this does not mean your yeast is done working. It spends another few days cleaning the place up a bit while the beer clears up a bit and develops it's flavor. My brown ale was at the FG in 4 days, but it is still a ways away from being the beer it will grow up to be.
Hope that helps

And on the flipside of the flipside, I have had a krausen on my Belgin wits using bottle harvested hoegaarden yeast stay up for over three weeks, despite the hydrometer reading that the beer was finished.

That's the point, no visual cues, whether it's airlock bubbling or lack of it, or even a krausen is a good way to know what is going on with your fermentation. The only way to know is with a hydrometer.

For my latest batch of cider it took 78 hours before I noticed anything, the surface was totally clear and bubble free until hour 70 when tiny islands of bubbles appeared and now 8 hours after that there is a very very light covering of small bubbles on the surface of the cider.
Just wanted to share my experience with having to wait to see any "signs" of fermentation.

First batch is in the carboy, everything went pretty well, I think. It took longer to cool the wort in the sink ice bath than I expected, but no big deal. My concern is the yeast, I had a packet of Wyeast from NB, the 'smack pack.' It was delivered to Mississippi in August, which means it was hot. Upon smacking, the yeast didn't 'inflate' the packet. (The packet said inflation was not necessary so I pitched it anyway.) I'm coming up on 72 hours and it looks dead as a doornail....

What should I do/conclude?:drunk:

like many of the others replying I too am having a slow start to fermentation. I think my temperature may have been a little bit high when i pitched. Around 80 I think. I am at 24 hours now and while comforted by what I have read so far I am extremely nervous. Should I pitch more yeast to get it started sooner or let it take its time?

So what about airlock activity but no krausen? I pitched my stout with Notty on Friday and now all it has is a few small spots on the surface. The airlock is slowly bubbling though so I'm not too concerned but I like to see the krausen to know all is well.

Can someone help out, settle my nerves? Made my first batch of beer Sunday afternoon. Used Nottingham dry yeast (Danstar). First screw up, put the yeast in water (temp 90F, which should be fine) but mixed the yeast instead of letting it sit (like the web site says). Let it sit for 10 minutes (appx) per packing and then pitched into the wort (100 degrees F). Now it's around 30 hours later and no sign of fermentation starting. The temp in the room where my glass (five gallon) carboy is stationed is 92 degrees. I think I aerated by a) pouring the initial three gallons of water into the carboy and b) rolling the carboy around after adding the yeast.

Instead of a airlock, I've got a blow off tube that is immersed in some water, below the carboy.

Thanks for the help!

Can someone help out, settle my nerves? Made my first batch of beer Sunday afternoon. Used Nottingham dry yeast (Danstar). First screw up, put the yeast in water (temp 90F, which should be fine) but mixed the yeast instead of letting it sit (like the web site says). Let it sit for 10 minutes (appx) per packing and then pitched into the wort (100 degrees F). Now it's around 30 hours later and no sign of fermentation starting. The temp in the room where my glass (five gallon) carboy is stationed is 92 degrees. I think I aerated by a) pouring the initial three gallons of water into the carboy and b) rolling the carboy around after adding the yeast.

Instead of a airlock, I've got a blow off tube that is immersed in some water, below the carboy.

Thanks for the help!

Oh man.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/nottingham-yeast-128940/index50.html

If you can get some other yeast, re-pitch. Nottingham is bunk.

Ugh. I don't have any homebrew store local :-/ guess its another shipping charge for me. No issue with the temp where my carboy is?

No issue with the temp where my carboy is?
92 is a bit high. Put your carboy in a water bath if possible to keep the temp down.

[EDIT] Nevermind, I reread what you posted and it sounds like you have a water bath already. If you haven't already, put some ice in there and try and keep it in the low 70's.

Will do. Moved it out of the garage and into the shower (bathroom) so that should lower the temp to 80. Thanks!

I thought i'd revive this sticky because I might have done something weird.

I activated my liquid Irish Ale yeast, but after an hour after I realized I wasn't really ready to brew. So, I put the packet in the fridge after smashing the activator packet. It sat in the fridge for over 24 hours, but less than 48. I'll say 36. It has been 14+ hours since pitching the yeast into my Guinness clone brew (all grain). Still no sign of krausening, but the water in my glass for the blow off tube is giving off a buble every 45 seconds-90 seconds....

Wait a while longer? Or should I give the yeast a slow and gentle stir?

Back