Chillers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimm

Reaction score
I'm in the process of upgrading to a 10gallon system and i would like to get an efficient chiller for the larger batch while still using gravity to move the liquids. I've been studying and reading up on the 3 main chiller systems out there. But I also was wondering if anyone has used a jockey box style chiller?

My initial though was to just get a nice long coil (50') inside a cooler full of ice and water, drain out the warm water and refill with cold as needed. and just let the hot wort trickle thru that.

While talking with a buddy at work he came up with the idea of getting 2' sections of baseboard and creating a small radiator of sort that would fit inside a bucket and run ice and water around it again following the jockey box idea. Having fins attached to the pipe would certainly transfer and dissipate more heat than a standard coil? but still allowing for quick and easy clean up.

i'm a bit skeptical that a 50' counter-flow chiller will get the wort cool enough before it exits.

any thoughts? am i trying to re-invent something that works fine as is or is there any innovation that ca be made in the chiller world?

The jockey box is a neat idea. Not sure if it would cool the wort enough before it came out. Would take alot of experimentation. I do 10 gallon batches with my 50' immersion chiller and works fine.....but you want gravity...hmmmm

How long does it take to chill the 10 gallons? I know the one i made for my 5 gallon batches took a while without an ice bath to help. don't "need" to use gravity, just don't have a pump for the wort.

Back