Blueberry peach melomel, (any thought?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qweegee

Reaction score
The plan...
16lbs orange blossom honey
9lbs fresh blueberries washed and frozen for 1 week, then thawed and mashed in bucket
20 fresh medium sized peaches washed, sliced and frozen(see below for freezing technique)
yeast nutrients
yeast energizer
1tsp pectin enzyme
5 packs lavlin 71b-1122
Deer park spring water to 5.5 gallons total must

Mix 16 lbs honey in 3 gallons water (plastic fermenting bucket.)
Add thawed crushed blueberries and mix.
Mix in 2/3 tsp nutrients, 2/3 tsp energizer, 1 tsp pectin enzyme and water up to 5.5 gallons.
Rehydrate yeast in 5 cups warmed spring water 106F for 30 minutes
Pitch yeast and set air locked lid on, but not tight
24 hours, stir/ aerate well and add 2/3 tsp nutrients + 2/3 tsp energizer dissolved in a little bit of spring water. Also punch down the fruit cap 3 times throughout the day
48 hours same process as 24 hours
72 hours same process as 24 hours and lock lid on tight at this point.
Rack onto thawed sliced peaches in 5 gallon glass Carboy once primary fermentation has completed, save extra melomel in 1 gallon glass jug air locked for topping up.
Rack into 5 gallon carboy after 7 days, add peach syrup(see below) and top up with leftover melomel from first rack and set in cool dark place air locked
Rack every 2 months until no sediment left and clears
Bottle until tastes excellent...

Peach freezing:
Place peaches into boiling water for 25-45 seconds, remove and place immediately in ice cold water bath. The skins will slide of easily now...(save skins)
Cut peaches in half and remove cores then freeze. Thaw. Than freeze again until rdy for use
Take peach skins shred them and add to two cups water, slowly boil this down to a syrup, let cool and freeze until rdy for use.

Suggestions Welcome

That much yeast, is, as MasterJeem points out, overkill.

Plus, don't forget, that without a lot of sweetness, it'd be normal for the peach flavour to swamp the blueberry flavour, if the ratio of the fruits is about equal (the peach, minus the stone, weighing a similar amount to the blueberry).

Perhaps something that complements either the peach or the blueberry and go with that, so you can get some of the flavour of both, not just one......

Even going as heavy as you are with fermentables you won't need 5 packs of yeast. One pack would be underpitching, 2-3 would be a healthy pitch rate. Yes the packs say good for "up to" 5 gallons of must, but the gravity of the must has to be considered, the higher the gravity the higher the chance of stressing the yeast. If youre comfortable with settling for the "up to" or in other words, how much you could push and stretch the yeast to the limits of its capabilities, throw one pack in dry. If you want to increase your potential of a good strong start with minimal lag time, steady consistent ferment and reduced possibility of a stuck ferment, rehydrate and pitch 2-3 packs.

My last batch was 1.140. I pitched one rehydrated pack. No starter, no energizer. It ate it down to 1.005 in less than 2 weeks. That being said, 1 packet is sufficient. Yeast multiplies

Appreciate the input. This is my third 5 gallon batch, granted the first two aren't done yet :), just getting the pipeline flowing... I came up with 5 packets from the Mr. Malty calculator... Calculated the OG from from the mead calculator... I was going for the color
Of blueberries with just a hint of its flavor but mostly a peach flavor is what I'm looking for(the peaches I have taste amazing), I've also read that it is hard to get the peach flavor into a mead, hence the freezing process I found online from a mead maker in Florida who's had great success. I'll back it down to 3 packs of yeast rehydrated...

Latest posts

Back