Lots of Trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DifferentDrummer

Reaction score
I was brewing a partial mash Rye ESB last night, and when I poured off the wort, I was left with a lot more trub than usual, probably in the neighborhood of 1/2 gallon, that wouldn't settle down all the way. I was able to "rescue" the wort in the bottom by putting my top off water in the kettle and letting things settle back down. I'm curious if anyone might have some ideas why there was that much trub.

My short list of possibilities:
--First time using Deathbrewer's partial mash technique. Maybe there was more "junk" in my wort than usual?

--I also think I had a better cold break than usual, which may have left a lot of fluffy trub.

--Golden naked oats: I've used them before, but never quite this much. Does anyone know if they tend to contribute a lot of junk?

Every time I've ever used oats I get more trub than usual. Not saying that's it, just something I've noticed.

Every time I've ever used oats I get more trub than usual. Not saying that's it, just something I've noticed.

Same here, but don't worry. In a week, it will become compressed on the bottom, and will only be slightly thicker than the trub without it.

I guess it's the oats, then! I'll have to pay attention next time I do a partial mash this way to see how it turns out.

Back