Unexpected hydrometer reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delaney

Reaction score
Hi,

I made two batches of mead today, and had an unexpected hydrometer reading.

-First I dumped 32.5 lbs of honey into my fermenter.
-Then I added cold water, intermittently stirring until the demijohn was full to the 54L mark.
-I took a gravity and temperature reading which read 1.052 @ 56F.

According to my calculations, the OG should have read 1.080. Is it therefore safe to assume that I hadn't fully mixed the honey with the water, despite having stirred it vigorously for 5 minutes?

I'd have thought that amount of honey would be about right for 45 or so litres i.e.3.25lb per imperial gallon for a gravity up to about 1.100, but there's a further 9 litres or 2 gallons of water. So to bring it up to my average amounts it'd need about 5 or 6lb more honey.

Because of the differences in sugar content in honeys, I mix my batches to about 90% of the target volume allowing 3 to 3.5lb honey in the gallon, then blitz like hell, let the foam and bubbles settle then check gravity (i usually start my batches at the 1.100-1.110 area). If its too high its topped with water, or more honey if a bit low.

You'd have to take some of the must out and refridgerate it, if your fermenter is tight for space.

Without a small test lab, mead making can be rather an inexact science.

Just give it another good stirring and retest, with a view to adding more honey if need be......

Back