Recipe DB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Would a recipe DB be a nice addition to this website? Users could submit recipes then list them by category. We could have a little number under your user name of how many you have submitted. Then they can all be listed under your profile.

I know there are lots of other recipe DBs. Is there a need for another one or not?

I say go for it. People are always asking for recipes, myself included. Even though it is possible to search other sites, why not just keep 'em here on this site. One stop brew info.

Did anyone see the one (recipe DB) that Shmoel (sp?) posted a couple days ago? I didn't get too far with it but the features sounded good. He had an upload for a text file from one of the common Brewing Software programs (Promash I believe). I think that would be a good idea to look into if this goes live on this site.

Otherwise I agree with Maetro, one stop is always good. I also think that it would be good to go forward with a "terms glossary" for newer brewers that someone brought up a couple of days a go as well.

I'd really like to see one here associated with user names. A few people have recipes that people are always looking for, and it would be really convenient to find them easily (Hop Rod Rye anybody?). It's always fun to share, as well.

Shmole, or whatever, has a pretty good one going, maybe he would like to affiliate with us. It would be nice to see the the two sites integrated. That being said, I'm sure a really slick DB could be developed for us too, it seems silly to do the work twice though.

A recipe database would be a terrific asset to this site. Sometimes I spend so much time trying to come up with a profile (recipe) for a style or specific beer that I want to brew, I get bogged down in the details. It would be nice to have some proven recipes that I could tap into for a change. I haven't seen the Schmole DB so I can't give any input on that.

yeah im surprised there isnt one already...im a one stop shopper if you will and dont bother going on any other sites, so a recipe index would be sweet!

definitley have a review/thoughts section where by whomever brews the recipe can comment on stuff...

and maybe a brew track number to keep track of the most brewed recipe.

Here is the post that he (Shmohel) started for his recipe DB.

I think this one looks pretty good, maybe he would collaborate to port it over to this site or something.

I like the idea of the batch tracker so that you could see who brewed a recipe and maybe even have their comments on the outcome . . .

if this is a vote, then i'm voting twice for this thing since i'm a lifetime member :rockin: :ban:

great idea!!! i have a few to post already

I talked to Shmohel about it. He is going to get back to me.

If anyone here can program PHP well please PM me.

how about for each recipe there could be a way to leave comments on it.

for instance if someone tried a certain recipe he/she could post their opinions/experiences with it.

Excellent suggestion! I'm working on a general layout for it now.

Great idea! I'm always looking for recipes and like others said... one-stop shop is always a good thing!

So about that hop rod rye recipe...

I have a bunch of recipes that I would be glad to post. I love the log of times brewed idea and the feedback. I think this would be a great project. How will it happen? Does it require funds? Where will they come from..., let's get this going!

Hey guys, I have not hear back from TxBrew. I sent a couple emails, and would love to affiliate my site with this. Really it should not be so difficult, and I am willing to do the PHP work necessary.

Once I finish standardizing my site with BeerXML then I am going to be releasing a whole bunch of new features on my site. One would be an RSS feed.

We could link that to this site, and have an identifier so a user's profile here is linked with the one on my site.

I even did some research and think we could merge registrations on the sites, I have to do some more looking into that though.

Take a look at my site and let me know what you think about affiliating. I am all for it.

http://www.recipetavern.com

Brewpastor said:
Can it be interactive with Promash? That is how I write and track all my brews.

My site is able to load ProMash files. Not the .rec format (as there are legal issues with using it) but the text exported file that ProMash generates. I am also going to allow for BeerXML standard files (http://www.beerxml.com).

Some of the other features that you mentioned previosuly in this email I already have. There is an ability to track how many times a recipe has been brewed, and allows for users to rate them as well as clone them to be modified slightly for their own purposes.

Recently I just added the ability to view all recipes in either Metric Units or US Customary, and I am just a hop skip and a trow away from allowing users's to specify their desired recipe size and to port the recipe amounts to that desired amount.

With this all said, I am also working on finalizing the statistics calculator to automatically generate the anticipated SRM, IBU, etc if the file is not loaded from ProMash and you use the recipe enter form (which seems the more popular method right now.)

It should not take much. I am just double checking with TxBrew on the DB structure here on this site to determine the best method.

Shmohel...I personally am becoming a little troubled about the way you're promoting your site on this board. You posted one thread pointing us to your site, and that's just fine. But now you've hijacked another thread in order to campaign to get this site affiliated with your own. It seems to me that those types of discussions should be held in private between you and TxBrew.

Just my opinion.

bootytrapper said:
how about for each recipe there could be a way to leave comments on it.

for instance if someone tried a certain recipe he/she could post their opinions/experiences with it.

This would make the recipe DB different from others:
Comments and experience, discussion, etc from the author and other brewers!
:mug:

Don't know if my opinion is worth anything to anyone, but I'll spew it forth regardless:

I'd rather see it all here. I don't mean to offend Shmohel, but I like the setup here better.
I've seen how well the Review software works with vbulletin. It's very easy to manage, and is customizeable. It would be perfect for a recipe database, and it would blend in seamlessly here.
Why spread 'ourselves' thin and merge with another site?

Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it. :)

Kevin

El Pistolero said:
Shmohel...I personally am becoming a little troubled about the way you're promoting your site on this board. You posted one thread pointing us to your site, and that's just fine. But now you've hijacked another thread in order to campaign to get this site affiliated with your own. It seems to me that those types of discussions should be held in private between you and TxBrew.

Just my opinion.

Don't get too upset I did not mean to offend anyone, nor am I tryiong to self-promote my site. It honestly began as a project with the sole intention of supporting my own brewing activities and organization. Then, it seemed like others in the brewing community were interested in something similar so I offered it to the public. I am not getting anything out of this site, it is purely for the intention of bettering the community.

TxBrew had asked if I could incorprate what I had into his site, so I am trying to think of a good way to seemlessly combine them.

Yep I asked him. We are talking about how to intergrate it. By quick glance the review software does look fairly straightforward and automatically does everything we want. I will have to fully look at it.

Status is I am going to start work on it tonight. I'm going to buy the review software then try to adapt it to work as a recipe DB.

Back