Had to move fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nigelb

Reaction score
Morning all...greetings from Johannesburg!
I'm a newb here and on my second LME at the moment. The first one went well (I think) and had been in bottles for three weeks now.
The thing is that my second LME had been in the fermented for three weeks and I had to move it a few days ago to a storage facility about a mile away.
The temp in the storage facility is pretty cold when I have been there and the temp on the carboy in the region of 10 degrees celcius.
My question is will this Cerveza still be ok to bottle and drink with the change in temp and the movement?
PS - I love this forum, it gives a newby the extra confidence needed to get into the hobby!

I'd say you'll probably be OK. By moving the fermentor, you run the risk of oxidation, which can lead to wet cardboard flavors. But, I say bottle it, and and drink it. I think (and someone with more experience may correct me) it takes awhile to set in, so if if you consume it relatively quickly, you'll be ok.

The temp is good for cellaring, but it'll take awhile longer to carb up the bottles. 3 weeks at 21 deg C is a good starting point for average gravity beers. The cooler it is, the longer it'll take to carb.

I think you'll be OK, though.

Evening from California! :p

It's iffy at this point...yes, there's a solid layer of CO2 present when you're 3 weeks into fermentation, but with the amount of movement I'm predicting was involved, much of the layer may have gassed-off in the process. I'd say since you're doing a relatively simple extract batch, I'd say leave it be for now & don't touch it until your scheduled bottling/kegging day, or go right ahead & bottle it now. You should be alright, but most of the experts on here would agree that minimizing movement during fermentation is the best idea.

Back