cider 2011!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barly_there

Reaction score
hey there@! its year 2, and i've got 4 more carboys full just ready to start (another 3 with the people who helped pick and press..) i had a lot of trouble last year with wild yeasts fermenting OFF,. read, very bad, tastes like ass, as someone so eloquently put it above somewhere. SO this year i'm going to bring it to a near boil for a minute, as recommended by H.E. Bravery, to kill off the old stuff, and use a champagne yeast to ferment. i've learned a lot from you guys, ,,, any tips on the 'pasturization' process (i.e. ideal temp, timing), or experiences... tanks,
barly

I wouldn't pasteurise, instead I would use campden tablets in the dosage directed on the packaging. Heating the cider will give a chance for pectins to set in making your cider cloudy unless you use pectinase in conjunction.

but i like cloudy cider, i think! i did a lot of natural (wild) ferments last year, and i got really clear cider that tasted like "ass" as someone put it. ... when its cloudy its always been sweet and good... however, i am going to get some campden tablets and try a few batches like that... at least a gallon or two. we had an amazing mix of varieties that we picked, and some jugs are clearer than others.

Back