Am I likely to be contaminated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
Soon as my IC got my wort down to 80F the sky opened of with a huge rainstorm. I had moved an large outdoor umbrella over the keggle and then supplemented with a lid and my grill cover. Can't run a pump in a downpour.

I'm waiting out the storm. Does this greatly increase my chances of a contaminated brew?

Crapola!

Unfortunately, I was not saavy enough to consider reboiling my wort. It was a pretty hilarious brew day, looking back on it. I had basically the whole day to brew thanks to my wife who was taking care of the kids. My first all grain batch in 9 years or so. I had gotten a March pump so I started by building a pump stand with a tee for priming. I practiced with the pump for a while, went out to 7 Eleven and got a new propane tank, went to fire it up and... nothing.

Spent the next three hours trying to get my propane cooker working. Went to like four different stores for parts or a new burner, couldn't find a new one, finally returned the propane tank (which was clearly full) for a new one and oila! Threads must've been screwed up on it.

So I lost so much time that I was brewing until 9pm, hunched over in the dark under an outdoor umbrella, watching the radar as a storm moved in. I had rigged up the umbrella and my grill cover and was just waiting for my IC to get the wort down to 75 -80. It got to 80 and I was about to plug in the pump when I reconsidered, covered up the keggle good, and brought everything else inside. About a minute later a freakin monsoon hit.

Hey, at least I was smart enough not to push it with the pump in a rain storm.

Next time I'll reboil it, though. I had to wait about an hour and a half to two hours for the rain to clear. Pitched yeast right after. Hopefully it's not ruined. Was 11pm by the time I finished.

Looking forward to my INDOOR electric setup... where I suppose the power might go out. Oh, well.

My last batch was caught in a storm also...although, not as long as yours. I was on the final half of my boil when I noticed the clouds starting to get dark. I checked the weather channel radar and a large red blob was about to hit me. I just grabbed a bunch of plastic grocery bags and rubber bands to cover the march pumps and hoped for the best! Fortunately, the storm only lasted 15 minutes, so not much harm done.

Man, isn't electricity, water, flammable gas, and weather fun? :D

However, since I can in fact *see the future*, I predict in a number of weeks you will be enjoying a wonderful brew while telling friends slightly exaggerated stories about it's origin.

I was caught in a massive rain storm during the final throwes of brewing a few months ago. Rain poured into my IC and primary.

Beer was great.

Back