Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clay

Reaction score
I just made my first batch (Weizenbock) that didn't come in a box. My question is what to do with the extra grains? I put them in plastic bags and put them in the cabinet. Do they need to be refrigerated though? Also, I just tossed the extra Malt Extract I had, is there any good in saving like a pound of extract and how long does it say good in the fridge?

Thanks

If you're going to use the extra grains soon (ie; in the next month), the cabinet is probably OK. You can always stick them in the fridge or freezer, too. They will keep fine.

As for the extract: Yes, save it. You can always toss it in another batch later OR use it instead of dextrose for priming at bottling time.

Extract storage:

If it's liquid, think of it like you do maple syrup. It will last quite a while, expecially in the fridge. If it's dry, it will keep for a very long time cold or room temp.

I'd put everything in ziplocks and put it in the fridge. It'll still be good when you brew the next batch.

-walker

crushed grains should be used in 2 weeks. un-crushed grains can be good for a while (3-6 months maybe) as long as they are kept in a cool, dry, dark place. a big plastic bin or tupperware works great.

malt extract? i'm sure it'll hold for a couple months in a cool, dry place.

fresh ingredients always make the best beer though!

Clay said:
Also, I just tossed the extra Malt Extract I had, is there any good in saving like a pound of extract and how long does it say good in the fridge?
Save the extra dme to use in starters.

Back