Sour starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadChaney

Reaction score
So I brewed an American Cream Ale and pitched ECY Kolsch about a month ago, on the brewday I pulled a bit of the yeast out of my starter flask and repackaged it to keep around. Made a nice big starter with this the other day and went to crash it today and it smells sour. It smells like a clean sour, like fresh green apples, almost the smell that come off of Petrus. So my guess is somehow some Lacto got in there. I have various sours going in my basement right now, but I thinking I had a sanitation lapse somewhere. Anyway, my question is this, can I pitch this starter for a fast turnaround beer and keep the lacto at bay? I am thinking like 14 days from grain to keg, I am thinking there is enough Sach in there to get a solid start before the lacto has time to sour it. I guess if all else fails I could just get a sour blond right, lol...

Latest posts

Back