What kind of plug do I have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kman42

Reaction score
I'm trying to determine the feasibility of going electric in my garage. I have a 220 plug behind my dryer that isn't used since my dryer is gas and I'm trying to figure out if it is a newer four-plug or older three-plug. There are three obvious plugs around the outside and then a center hole that may or may not be a plug. The plate says 30A 125/250V. Can anyone fill me in?

Thanks,
kman

take a pic, run to the hardware store and compare. Or post the pic here.

It is most likely a dryer plug (obvioulsly)...most of te time they have three spade (flat) and one center (half round). Best thing to do is like the poster above advised...take to the local DIY store and compare or ask. Good Luck!

If the three prongs are in a circle config. around one in the center then it is a twist lock

Thanks for the responses. I'd be happy to post some pics, but since I'm new I think I have to wait until I have 25 posts.

After doing some google image searches, I think I have a 3-prong "inverted T" plug.

Welcome to HBT!

common 3-prong outlet:
dryer_outlet.jpg

and plug:
Dryer-plug.jpg

4-prong plug:
sm_4-prongdryerplug.jpg

Either of these will provide 220V for an electric system. You may want to find an electrician friend to assist you. (We want you to remain a member, not hear you got fried!):mug:

There are over a dozen different 220v outlets out there. You can post a pic, but it will show up as a link. We can still view it.

Here's a chart of non-locking NEMA plug configurations:

Here are the locking configurations:

Before you go with a 30A plug, no matter what its configuration take time to evaluate the power consumption of your brewing equipment.

Are you using electric heat? A single 6500W element takes about 30A at 220 to run (really 27A).

What motors/pumps do you plan on using?
What temp controller are you using?
What light sockets, other electrical are you using?

Mine is the common 3-prong dryer plug that Hang Glider posted, except that center screw appears to be VERY recessed (so much so that I can't quite tell if it is a screw or not at the bottom of the hole).

I am a residential electricity neophyte, but I study electrical impulses in nerves for a living so I have a fair theoretical understanding of electricity--enough to know that I currently know just enough to kill myself, but not build a useful rig. So, I'm just trying to figure out what I have at my disposal so that I have a starting point for learning.

I'm currently just building my two cooler, one burner AG rig and any electrical components are quite a ways off. I would probably start with an electric HLT to keep the initial wattage requirements down. In the meantime, I just want to get a basis for learning.

Latest posts

Back