Boil time and late extract additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geltzeiler

Reaction score
I do my late dry malt extract additions with 10 minutes to end boil, and it takes me a good 5 minutes after the addition for the wart to start boiling again. When I'm timing my boil, do I stop the timer until we start boiling again or just let it continue to run the entire time?

I feel like I'm not getting as good alpha acid isomerization since I'm not boiling, but these late hop additions aren't for bittering. Any thoughts? Thanks

just make sure to account for the temperature drop with the late addition next time... try it at 15 minutes & with a planned increase in temp...

there is still isomerization that occurs under boiling but at a reduced rate...

you should definately still count your boil as continuing- even if you drop under for a bit - there are still many other processes going on while you drop under a boil for a bit...

With adding the Whirlfloc tab, yeast booster, hops and late addition. I feel like im jumping.

There is no where in the rule book that says you can't go a little longer on the boil.

I did a batch of my house brew yesterday and didn't do a late addition. I want to see if it makes a diffrence on the FG side.

Back