A cool new post!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your mash grain/water ratio?

• 1 qt per lbs

• 1.25 qt per lbs

• 1.33 qt per lbs

• 1.5 qt per lbs

• 2 qt per lbs

• It depends on the method (single step/mash-out, etc...)

• continuous mash

• i use some wierdo decoction ratio

• 50/50

• Ralph Nader

Results are only viewable after voting.
Totally depends on the recipe and mash schedule for me. I generally try to work it out with two equal batch sparges resulting in 7.5-8g in my keggle, clearly the size of the batches vary with the amount of grain used due to absorption. I've also started incorporating a mash-out infusion with the first batch on some recipes.

For a step and/or decoction mash everything goes out the window, but I frequently start at 1qt/lb and wind up around 2qts/lb. in those cases.

So far I have not done enough AGs to say. I've been like a first time extract brewer.. kinda following a recipe till I get the feel for the process and all. My last AG had 9 1/2 pounds and the mash was 3 gallons. So what does that come to... 1.3 Quarts per Pound.....

i never measure - it's all by feel. its' the way i cook its' the way i brew

Perfect post. I was just about to ask this question. I'm finally doing my first partial mash today with 4lbs of pale and 1lbs of crystal. I think I'll go with 1.25. That also brings my strike temp down to 172 which is more in line with what I've been reading on this site.

I have done all my beers at a quart per pound until I bought a brew magic which requires a looser mash.

I'm with Brewhead, I just do it till it looks and feels right, I tend not to get too technical, it takes the fun and the art out of it.....I make good beer and that is what counts, ok, good beer is what I can drink and keep a straight face
whern I offer it to a friend.

I used to do about 1 qt per pound, now I do whatever Beersmith tells me to do. It may be cheating, but it's a lot less to think about.

Back