[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought about how awesome it would be to have sound when someone pours a beer. Now that V2 and the flow meters have arrived, this dream has come true.

Good info here and thanks for taking the time to write it up and share.

I'm doing something similar but I have mine playing random clever/funny lines from movies (Caddyshack, Airplane, Talladega Nights, etc.) but I have mine connected to the PIR so when it detects motion, it turns the RP display back on and plays one of the audio files. I put all of my audio files in a separate directory and the program just randomly picks a file to play.

I am thinking about adding an audio file for each beer with more information about the beer. So when the tap is pulled it plays the info about that specific beer. When I get to that point, your code is just about all I need.

Sorry for asking this, I know it's here somewhere and maybe I missed it during the set up. But where is the section about seeing your taplist online outside your home network? Sharing link with friends and family, etc....

Sorry for asking this, I know it's here somewhere and maybe I missed it during the set up. But where is the section about seeing your taplist online outside your home network? Sharing link with friends and family, etc....

It's in the other 'Pints thread...and the BrewPi thread...

Cheers!

I am thinking about adding an audio file for each beer with more information about the beer. So when the tap is pulled it plays the info about that specific beer. When I get to that point, your code is just about all I need.

Cool idea, I was thinking of doing something similar... Except might want to wire in an enable/disable toggle to a gpio pin so it doesn't play every time you pour the same beer? Just a thought, but I like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Do we need to install 'phpmyadmin' in order to monitor pours?

You don't have to, but it does make things easier in case you need to remove phantom pours or make other changes to the db. I install it by default and the setup.sh script I'm working on will have it by default too.

You don't have to, but it does make things easier in case you need to remove phantom pours or make other changes to the db. I install it by default and the setup.sh script I'm working on will have it by default too.

Coding noob here but once i get it downloaded how do i install it and then access my pours and such.

Can anyone explain how pint-mask.png and pint-stroke.png work together to draw the pint glass with the right color? i.e. what's masking what? I used to be pretty familiar with html, but css style sheets and .php are pretty new to me. TIA!

Coding noob here but once i get it downloaded how do i install it and then access my pours and such.

Just do

sudo apt-get install phpmyadmin

I'm a console. The in a browser go to yourwebpage/phpmyadmin

Login is the root db login you created when you setup the pi.

Click on the raspberrypints database and the pours table

I read through this thread and the original one and I have two questions:

(1) can I use a b+ when building this with or without flow meters?
(2) can I use this in conjunction with a VNC client/server configuration (using iPad as display).

I just made a small kegerator and I really want to set this up but I don't have a good place for a display. Plus, I only have two beers on tap at any given time. I would like to be able to set up an iPad when I have people over and leave it by the tap. Thanks for the help in advance.

I read through this thread and the original one and I have two questions:

(1) can I use a b+ when building this with or without flow meters?

Yes. The AlaMode will fit if you ever want to add the meters, it comes with a rubber bumper to keep it from hitting the USB and network connector shells.

B%2B+and+AlaMode.JPG

(2) can I use this in conjunction with a VNC client/server configuration (using iPad as display).

Soitenly. I have tightvnc running on all of my RPIs...though I rarely use it, and you don't need it to serve the RaspberryPints gui to a browser, even one running on an iPad...

Cheers!

[...]Is there any additional setup required if not using the recommended flow meters?

You would have to go into /var/www/includes/pours.php and modify line 41:

$amount = $PULSE_COUNT / 21120;

This is the pulses per gallon, which translates to 165 pulses per ounce (not ounces per pulse as written in the comments ;)) which will undoubtedly be different using the AdaFruit meters. You would have to determine a suitable value for this constant to calibrate your meters.

Otherwise you'd be all set. There are plenty of examples on hooking up those meters on the web, and I believe Kegbot or one of the other open source dispensing systems has an option to use the AdaFruit meters, so it's not without precedent...

Cheers!

[edit] I'll add that the SF800 meters are supposedly accurate to 1% (assumes perfect installation, etc) while the AdaFruit meters are rated at 10%. That's a rather significant difference when dealing with a 5 gallon vessel, but if you can live with it, you're good to go...

GIzPlAi.jpg

i made a nifty enclosure from a conduit box from lowes. Now it'll be easy to mount the meters in my keezer.

hardware is done, tomorrow i'll tackle the software.
just put a new keg in tonight, not gonna tap it until this is up and running so i can test accuracy.

cant wait!!

Put me on the list if you decide to build these and sell them, nice work.

PM me if you want to build another one

Electronics are over my head.

mmuaaaaahahahahahahahahaha! we're gettin' crazy all up in here! :D

This could have gone in the BrewPi thread just as readily, but either way, here's the plan to push my low art/high tech keezer totally out of bounds.
All parts on hand or enroute, so it's just a matter of time...

Cheers! :mug:

Keezer_Control_Block_Diagram.jpg

@day_tripper - nice, I got my mini xlr connectors in and gonna do some soldering and finally mount it all in a box tonight. Also working on a non beer related project that I need to do a bunch of soldering for. Hopefully by the end of the weekend Ill have a nice clean box that the flow meters and power just plug into.

Day_trippr, are you EVER gonna be "done" with your kegerator? Lol let me guess, soon as you consider it finished, Version 3 will be released? Ha. Seriously though. Nice work :)

Got my flow meters up and running thanks to the great info on here. Thanks guys for putting such a great project together.

The only thing I haven't gotten to work is when I set the kegs up at the beginning and they are various levels of full, my raspberry pints shows then as all full, though the fluid ounces left differ. How do I fix this? I saw that daytripper was able to make it work but I didn't understand how. Thanks!

[...]The only thing I haven't gotten to work is when I set the kegs up at the beginning and they are various levels of full, my raspberry pints shows then as all full, though the fluid ounces left differ. How do I fix this? I saw that daytripper was able to make it work but I didn't understand how. Thanks!

Jeeze, that one's by me into mcangeli territory ;)
Once the revised pours.php came out it all just worked.

Wait - which branch did you pull? If it was V2.0.0 from the release branch it doesn't have the updated pours.php. You want to install from the V2 branch which has the latest files.

You can grab the updated files from the newer zip and replace the predecessors in place. If you go back a dozen replies I detailed which files and where they go...

Cheers!

[edit] This post lists the updated files and where to put them...

Jeeze, that one's by me into mcangeli territory ;)
Once the revised pours.php came out it all just worked.

Wait - which branch did you pull? If it was V2.0.0 from the release branch it doesn't have the updated pours.php. You want to install from the V2 branch which has the latest files.

You can grab the updated files from the newer zip and replace the predecessors in place. If you go back a dozen replies I detailed which files and where they go...

Cheers!

Yea that was fixed in the index.php file (with some math).

It hasn't been updated in the files linked on the site yet (skemp!)

Day_trippr, are you EVER gonna be "done" with your kegerator? Lol let me guess, soon as you consider it finished, Version 3 will be released? Ha. Seriously though. Nice work :)

lol! I'm having so much fun messing around with all this that "done" isn't even in view yet! I haven't even dabbled in having the 'Pi run dramatic lighting effects yet :D

There is the chance this could turn into a model railroad paradigm, where "it's never done, but if it is it's time to build a whole new layout"...

Cheers! ;)

Anyone know what graphics software was used to make the pint-stroke.png file? Trying to figure out how to make the nice 'soft' near-white shadowy edges, so that I can make other glassware styles. TIA!

I just installed this from scratch... it all looks good except for my taps list. When I enter the info into the tap list, it submits and nothing is listed on tap. The keg status is changing from PRIMARY to SERVING so "something" is happening but not the whole thing.

Thoughts?

I just installed this from scratch... it all looks good except for my taps list. When I enter the info into the tap list, it submits and nothing is listed on tap. The keg status is changing from PRIMARY to SERVING so "something" is happening but not the whole thing.

Thoughts?

No flow meters, right? If so, that's a known bug.

You need to replace
/var/www/admin/includes/models/tap.php with the updated file from the "V2" kit in this branch.

Download the zip file (button on the right), then extract
/admin/includes/models/tap.php and replace the old version at /var/www/admin/includes/models/tap.php

Cheers!

Got version 2.0 loaded on my pi last night, wired up some wireless modules to my pi and arduino, going to try and get the flow meter data to transfer wirelessly so the pi doesn't have to be located at the kegerator (less cabling)
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411183431.381950.jpg

Plumbed in the flowmeters tonight too, I like how it turned out!
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411183477.234603.jpg

No flow meters, right? If so, that's a known bug.

You need to replace
/var/www/admin/includes/models/tap.php with the updated file from the "V2" kit in this branch.

Download the zip file (button on the right), then extract
/admin/includes/models/tap.php and replace the old version at /var/www/admin/includes/models/tap.php

Cheers!
Yea, I used the w/Flow meter code and instructions because I plan to get them soon and figured I'd save time.

Thanks, I'll give that a go!

Yea, I used the w/Flow meter code and instructions because I plan to get them soon and figured I'd save time.

Thanks, I'll give that a go!

Hmm...I didn't think the flowmeter install had this problem, but anyway, if you want to get the flowmeter support working take a look at this post where I list the files that have been updated since the "V2" release and what goes where...

Cheers!

See post #361 and ensuing.

Hmm...I didn't think the flowmeter install had this problem, but anyway, if you want to get the flowmeter support working take a look at this post where I list the files that have been updated since the "V2" release and what goes where...

Cheers!

Here's a secret... The flow meter code is the same as the non flow meter code.

This issue has been fixed by the changes to the tap.php file.

Here's a secret... The flow meter code is the same as the non flow meter code.[...]

Right, I was referring to the different installation procedures that resulted in the Day 1 tap display bug for those who didn't install the meter support. Those of us that followed the meter procedure never saw that bug - we had our own problems ;)

Cheers!

Cheers!

It works! Perfectly! This is sooooooo cool. And even a minorly (ok, majorly) slow person like me made it happen with no previous soldering skills or Linux experience. That is truly a testament to the strength of the guys who put this project together.

If I can make one suggestion to those who follow, have a sessionable brew on hand for the testing phase. I drank 99 ounces (I know because my flow monitors tell me so) of a 2.8% mild ale. Bloated, but still able to operate heavy machinery.

Back