Hop Growing in the Ohio Valley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abstonhops

Reaction score
i live in southern indiana and have a second year crop going. is there anyone else growing hops in this area that has any advice? some of mine are browning just a bit and i'm thinking of harvesting a little earlier this year and look for a second harvest later. all of this is so new and fun!

Hey, in Louisville here and have a virgin year in the ground now. Cascades, Goldings and Willamettes.

Cascades are doing okay, others not too good.

Where in So. Indiana?

i'm in floyds knobs! lived in lousiville most of my life though...wherabouts?

we have second year cascade, fuggle and willamette. the willamettes, i've been reading, just don't grow well around here and i agree. the fuggle have a few cones. the cacade are going CRAZY!!! i love it. we also have about twenty more cascades, first year in the ground and 10 first year chinooks. we're not brewers but the new albanian brewing company (where i work) are making a beer with our hops. they made 'wet knobs harvest ale' last year and will do so again this year.

i just discovered this site a few days ago and i'm so glad to know that there are others in this area growing. some people have laughed at us for growing in the valley because of the humidity. we actually think this year that we have to harvest early and look to harvest again in aug/sept.

thanks for the contact!!

Hey,

I am in St. Matthews. Would love to see your operation. Not much of a green thumber here but what the hell... It's all for the beer.

Here is my set-up

pergola.jpg

Just a small pergola with about 11 plants, most of which aren't doing so well.

well yeah it's all for beer! how long have you been brewing? any specialties? my husband tried brewng once, but didn't go so well...several years ago. we don't really have an operation....yet! we hope to though!

Back