DME in Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittyfeet

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone used DME in their wine making? After some reading, I've heard people sometimes use 1 lb extra light DME per gallon of wine, but I'm having trouble finding the outcome of these batches.

From what I understand, DME adds body and mouth feel, and a bit of residual un-fermentable sugar. The extra light type doesn't add much flavor.

How much residual (un-fermentable) sugar would be left after all the fermentables are consumed by the yeast? Rather, for a 3 gallon batch of wine, using a total of 3 pounds extra light DME, and after all the yeasties ate all the sugar they can, what would a guesstimate of the final gravity be?

If this is the case, is it possible to carbonate this slightly sweet wine (using table sugar) made with DME and not get bottle bombs? I'm thinking a sweet carbonated Strawberry Wine would be fun.

Without knowing the recipe estimating the FG is impossible, as wines typically finish under 1.000. About 25% of the sugars from the DME will be left over, so the FG will be around 10 points higher than without the DME.

If you wait long enough before bottling and use about 1/2 oz/gal of table sugar, you shouldn't see any bottle bombs.

Back