Kegging Questions - bad fittings? Gas in beer line?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meatwad

Reaction score
Hey there, so I carbed my keg o Common Beer, and attached the picnic tap. However! Beer started spraying out of the plastic ball lock fitting where it attaches to the keg. I popped it off an turned the gas down, figuring I overcarbed it or something. So is it just a bad fitting?

Or did I screw up something else? Also, when I pulled off my red gas fitting, there appeared to be liquid, beer perhaps, comin out the top of that fitting as well. Which I assume is not good... I'd hate to get beer in my gas line.

Any thoughts or remedies?

Are you sure you have the "out" and "in" connectors right?

The black quick disconnect fitting goes on the "out", and the gray on the "in". (B is for beer and black, G is for gas and gray).

Check the posts and make sure they aren't mixed up. They look the same but aren't. The gas post should have some very small notches at the bottom.

When it was leaking, was it only when the black QD fitting was on it?

Can you post a couple of pictures, so we can "see" it?

Thanks for your help Yooper!

Yeah, it was only leaking when the black (out) fitting was on it.

image-861601494.jpg

And I have the black picnic tap on the OUT post, and the gray gas line in the IN. Pics included.

image-1329063630.jpg

image-1491199510.jpg

Hope the pics help! I pulled off the red gas line to inspect that beer did not escape up the gas line and into the reg. it appears this did not happen, there was just some beer (small amt) on the gas line post as I pulled the gas off.

I force carbed as usual, psi to 20, and rolled on the ground for 15 min.

Thanks again!
Meatwad

If this is your first keg experience, I'm betting the beer QD wasn't actually latched down all the way on the Out post. If the locking ring doesn't snap back down when the QD is seated, that QD isn't locked and leaks will likely happen.

Otherwise, if the QD actually was latched, the only things that can cause a leak at the interface are a bad Out post O-ring or a cracked QD body...

Cheers!

I've never used that manufactures quick connect , with a full length screwdriver slot. I'm curious if that is tightened down all the way. Put a screwdriver on there and give it a light twist. I've also never seen a green 'O' ring on a post. I've seen Black, Red, and Yellow. Not saying green is bad, I'm just not familiar with it. Edit: you can swap the 'O" ring from the gas in "red" with the green. If that stops the leak shut off the gas and replace the rings before turning the gas back on. Edit #2 found what looks to be your fitting

ball_beverage_flair_cornelius.jpg
so I guess your OK.

Thanks everyone, it definitely was a faulty qd fitting. One quick stop at the hb shop for a new one fixed it right up!

Latest posts

Back