Help me build a MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bringitonhome

Reaction score
Hi-
I'm going to be doing my first AG batch this fall and I need to build a MLT. However, I can't decide what equipment to use. My #1 requirement is: EASY TO CLEAN. So that makes me lean towards a false bottom instead of a manifold. But, I can only find 5gal round coolers in all the local stores by me. For the foreseeable future, I'll be doing 5gal batches and batch sparging, so i guess i have the following three options:

- 5gal round cooler w/ prefab false bottom (probably too small from what i've read)
- 48qt cube cooler w/ homemade manifold (attaching copper pipes together, cutting all those holes, harder to clean)
- 48qt cube cooler w/ homemade false bottom (I wouldn't even know a cost-effective way to make a false bottom this size)

Anyone have any ideas for me to make a big enough MLT that is also easy to clean?
I guess I could just keep searching for a 10gal round cooler and problem solved...

don't wory - its not that hard to clean - I dump the spent grain out in the back yard and spray mine out with a hose while the wort is coming to a boil and thats the end of it. It doesn't have to be 100% sterilized, just basically clean is good enough. Its the things that touch your wort after the boil that you've got to be super-consciously careful about cleaning. Your MLT - turn the garden hose on it for 30 seconds and put it away.

I found my 10Gal round cooler in the "seasonal" section at Home Depot. No luck there?

It was real easy cleaning out the SS braid that I have installed in my MLT. Most of the grain feel out quick and easy under the hose. If that doesn't work, I could have always removed the braid, cleaned it and re-install.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=787416&postcount=478

I'm really happy I stepped up to the 10Gal. I needed the space on my first batch.

I found my 10Gal round cooler in the "seasonal" section at Home Depot. No luck there?

It was real easy cleaning out the SS braid that I have installed in my MLT. Most of the grain feel out quick and easy under the hose. If that doesn't work, I could have always removed the braid, cleaned it and re-install.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=787416&postcount=478

I'm really happy I stepped up to the 10Gal. I needed the space on my first batch.

HD is a bit of a drive for me. The lowes by me didn't have any 10gal round coolers. Maybe I'll just make a cube w/ a braid.

Are you planning on batch or fly sparging? That will determine which separation medium would be more appropriate for your process. I batch sparge, so I use a SS braid.

I use a 5 gallon round cooler myself, because I don't brew really big beers with massive grain bills.

I use this. It over 10 gallon capacity and it comes with a couple of extras. I use a ss braid as well.

DSCF1381.jpg

DSCF1384.jpg

DSCF1387.jpg

Are you planning on batch or fly sparging? That will determine which separation medium would be more appropriate for your process. I batch sparge, so I use a SS braid.

I use a 5 gallon round cooler myself, because I don't brew really big beers with massive grain bills.

Batch sparge i would think. Maybe I have it backwards - I thought that an SS braid was not good for batch sparging b/c it can collapse under the weight of the entire sparge all at once, rather than the slow trickle of a fly sparge.

Do you have an Ace Hardware near you? Even if they don't have a 10g Rubbermaid cooler in stock, you can order it online and have it delivered to the store, free shipping for ~$50.

Back