High temps on day ten

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mdessert

Reaction score
My room temp got out of hand on day 10. About 77 degrees in the carboy. This is my first batch. It's a light ale from extract. What should I do?

I'd hazard that you won't suffer any ill effects with a temp spike that late in the fermentation -fermentation should be completed before that -take a reading and if so, rack it to a secondary (if it were a darker ale, I generally don't bother with secondaries) and get ready to bottle or keg or however you intend to carbonate and consume.
You really should be fine.

I think I'm going to try. Got a tub from work, ice bath in the morning. I'm shooting for high 60s. Is that right?

High 60's (68-69) is great. 74 is high but not unreasonable for a beer. You will just get a bit more yeasty characteristic in the brew.

But fermentation should have been completed by now. Don't sweat what you can't change, take a hydrometer reading and if the FG is there or close to there, rack that stuff into a secondary, or into the bottling bucket!

For a lighter ale it should have fermented all the way down by that point, so it shouldn't have much of any impact

Latest posts

Back