How do do you like to bottle your apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrewr4fun

Reaction score
I am in the midst of conditioning batch number 2 of beer and am thinking about apfelwein for my next batch. How do you like to bottle yours? I am thinking gallon size glass bottles but am not sure exactly how I am going to do it. Where do you like to buy your apfelwein bottles?

Gallon size would be too big unless you're having a party.

I bottle a majority of mine in 12 oz bottles, plus a couple in 750ml fliptops (from carbonated imported lemonade). Lots of people keg it too.

I'm getting all the ingredients for my apfelwein together tomorrow. I plan on using empty plastic PETE containers i've recycled(gatorade bottles, grape juice bottles, etc.). They are 2 quart in size for the most part. Shouldn't be a problem because i'm not planning on carbonating them. Any feedback ?

64633_PE174132_S4.jpg

I bought these for my first batch of apfelwein because i didn't have the supplies to cork them in wine bottles and they worked out great. $1.99/ each for 32 oz. 32oz is a great size. SWMBO and I can finish a bottle no problem and if we want to get a bit tipsy drink a second. I didn't carbonate the batch so i'm not sure if they hold pressure well. They were from IKEA so i wouldn't assume they would without some testing.

64633_PE174132_S4.jpg

I bought these for my first batch of apfelwein because i didn't have the supplies to cork them in wine bottles and they worked out great. $1.99/ each for 32 oz. 32oz is a great size. SWMBO and I can finish a bottle no problem and if we want to get a bit tipsy drink a second. I didn't carbonate the batch so i'm not sure if they hold pressure well. They were from IKEA so i wouldn't assume they would without some testing.

Ditto on the 32 oz bottle. I use these 1 liter plop tops from Austin Homebrew Supply.

Apfelweinbottle.jpg

I like the 22 oz. bottles + crown cap. Haven't had one explode yet, good size to drink too.

Since I don't keg, for aging I am going to put 5 gallons in some of these 1/2 gallon growlers that can handle carbonation and open them in a year:

51f6_1.JPG

Bombers and 1L fliptops for me as well. I grow weary of bottling and prefer to do it as little as possible.

I used some ikea bottles to carb/condition an irish red/chili pepper beer. They worked extremely well, i replaced half the silicon tabs and then kep the other with no noticeable change in carbonation levels.

Tonedef131, those labels look totally pro. Care to share how you did them?
I wish I could take credit for them but I just grabbed them off of this site. I went through the label forum and I didn't see the thread, but if you want the OP of that thread gave everyone permission to use it so I don't think they would mind me uploading the file.

I couldn't find it either. I was actually more curious about how they were cut. Did you just trim by hand?

2 Liter Plastic Bottles. I'm lazy. (still version) I'm getting into kegging, so i'll try it carbed then. Now if I can just stop drinking it green....

or Milk!!!!
Yeah, that works too...I guess. It is a lot messier and cutting out labels and sticking them on bottles is tedious enough. Glue sticks are like a dollar for a 4 pack and way easier to use, no chance of them making your ink run either.

Back