Can you have too much foam (starsan) in bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know that we should not "fear the foam" when bottling with starsan but today I got the recent catalogue from a home brew store that strongly advises to let your bottles drip dry when using starsan as a sanitizer. I usually just have a plastic tub full of starsan/water solution and let my bottles soak in this after they have already been cleaned. I pull out a bottle turn it over for the water to drain out and then fill the bottle while there are still larger starsan bubbles remaining inside the bottle. I have heard it is best to bottle when the inner surface is wet but could there be a point where we might "fear too much foam" when using starsan?

I wouldn't worry about it. Supposedly Starsan breaks down into nutrient and in correct concentrations shouldn't harm anything. I typically rack on top of foam in cornies and bottles and have yet to notice any problems, even in paler beers.

I forgot to pour out the last bit of Starsan in one of my last kegs and didn't even notice the difference.

Typically when I keg I soak the keg for about 15 minutes (rotating, etc) then use the auto-siphon to move the sanitizer into a bucket in which I soak all my accessories.

I usually pour out the last pint or so of liquid that's left at the bottom of the keg but I totally forgot and racked right onto it. about 1/2 a keg of foam and the pint or so on the bottom.

This was a keg-conditioned beer and tapped it about 4-5 days ago. Zero off flavors and excellent.

What am I doing wrong? I've never had foam when using Star San. Never understood the "don't fear the foam" posts.

What am I doing wrong? I've never had foam when using Star San. Never understood the "don't fear the foam" posts.

Wowzers! Really?

Are you putting the Starsan in first? or after you fill your container with water.

I usually dump in about 1/2 of the little fill measure of Starsan into a carboy/keg and fill 1/2 way with water. by that time the foam is typically creeping out the top.

Wowzers! Really?

Are you putting the Starsan in first? or after you fill your container with water.

I usually dump in about 1/2 of the little fill measure of Starsan into a carboy/keg and fill 1/2 way with water. by that time the foam is typically creeping out the top.

That's what I'm doing different. Thanks, it didn't make sense to me till I read your post. I only mix up a quart at a time in a spray bottle. So if you pour some in a container and agitate it by filling the container with water, it is the same as putting in dish soap first and filling a container... you get foam.

Back