Top Cropping Pacman...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgo737

Reaction score
So I am brewing a Bigfoot clone (with my own improvements) and was planning on pitching yeast slurry from an IPA I made with Pacman about 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately, that batch is still active with an impressive Krausen to this day and therefore not ready to keg.

So as far as yeast selection for this Bigfoot clone (1.100 intended O.G.) that I am brewing tonight here are my options:

1. Skim Krausen off of fermenting IPA and make starter and then pitch
2. Pitch 2 packets of US-05 yeast in Bigfoot

Thoughts? I could use any advice you got as I have never top cropped yeast and want to make sure I pitch a good amount of yeast on this barley wine.

Personally I would just wait to brew the barley wine and then pitch the appropriate amount of Pacman slurry from the IPA cake once the IPA fully completes fermenting. The barley wine is going to take months before it's really aged enough to be at it's peak, so what's another week.

If you're itching to brew this weekend maybe brew a nice ale with the US-05 to tide you over somewhat while waiting on the barley wine.

I am going away for 3 weeks Sunday and wanted to get this barley wine going before leaving...

Personally I would just wait to brew the barley wine and then pitch the appropriate amount of Pacman slurry from the IPA cake once the IPA fully completes fermenting. The barley wine is going to take months before it's really aged enough to be at it's peak, so what's another week.

If you're itching to brew this weekend maybe brew a nice ale with the US-05 to tide you over somewhat while waiting on the barley wine.

+1

Nothiing good comes from rushing a brew. Wait until you can pitch the correct amount of the proper yeast.

Brew something else tonight.

Latest posts

Back