Krausen in airlock.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebaynote

Reaction score
Morning all-
Quick question. I have 5g of beer fermenting in a 6.5 carboy at a friends house. He sent a pick this am that showed the krausen creeping up into the airlock and slowly coming out the top. The airlock had star san in it. Is this ok or should we go buy a blow off tube? I guess that yeast from the local brewery that they gave us yesterday for hb day was strong. ha. Thanks in advance.

Congratulations !! You have made beer. Yes you should immediately switch to a blow off set up or at least change to a clean air lock. The krausen will plug the air lock up and pressure will build up and then.............boom, beer and yeasties all over the ceiling.

You need a blow off tube, here's a quick photo of my setup. I use a blow off tube for at least the first week. If I have another brew come along I switch to an airlock. Here's a photo of both carboys (Porter and a Hefeweizen), and a closeup of the blow off tube.

aa1.jpg

aa2.jpg

I would definitely go with a blow off tube. Cleaning out the airlock and replacing it only means you'll be doing it again, and again. Plus, it's good to have some extra tubing around.

Thanks guys for the help. I got a pic of a splattered ceiling from my buddy. He took the carboys to his house to ferment them. Oh well, live and learn. Both now have blow off tubes!

Rig up an airlock blowoff tube...take your bottling wand hose or other suitable one, put a small slit in it...Heat it for a few minutes in hot water to soften, then do this.

Airlockbo2.jpg

Ailockbo1.jpg

One thing that I do to all my airlocks is saw or break off the little criss/cross of plastic on the bottom of them.

The first photo I posted about 2 hours ago. Just a happy, gently bubbling jug of fermenting beer. I just took the second photo a few minutes ago. If I didn't have a blow off tube attached I would be cleaning the beer goo from my ceiling too. Always use a blow off tube!

aaa1.jpg

aaa2.jpg

Latest posts

Back