Hop garden and trellis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice, just gave me an idea of how I am going to build mine....so thanks. Just planted a Magnum & a Cascade 4 days ago, got 4" shoots already, here in FL. So should be interesting.

A couple of things:

Hops need full sun. Anything less and your growth won't be as good. From the pic, it doesn't look like full sun. If that's all you've got, go with it, but if possible pick a spot with full sun.

Also, how tall are your posts? My first year hops got to about 15 feet. This year my trellis is going to be at least 20.

Careful with that manure. It will kill the plants if you added too much before they mature. Manure is hot and contains a lot of salt.

Also that newspaper is worthless. Weeds will not be an issue with all of that topsoil. The paper will only restrict drainage.

Interested to see how this turns out for you, I thought about growing my own hops, but my property is really narrow and long and the HOA would likely give me a hard time out a 20' hop "tree". I wonder if I could find a spot to do a horizontal trellis like this.

The area gets 6-8 hours of full sun, plenty for hops. The posts are 12' and about as high as I wanted them to go. I am doing this more for fun than displacing the need to buy hops. I am hoping at the end of the season I have enough for a nice 10 gallon batch of wet hop ale. The newspaper will decompose very quickly but not before it ensures all the grass is dead which will also contribute to the nutrient base. Maybe not necessary but it certainly does not hurt.
As for rhizomes, I found a guy who was growing them local on Craigslist. At least that way I knew they were accustomed to growing in this area. I only planted one variety, Cascade. Like I said, this is for fun and not looking to try and displace my need to buy hops. I don't have enough room to do that properly.

Back