Bought my kettle, doing first all grain BIAB tomw

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacster

Reaction score
I bought the Blichmann 10g kettle today and all the ingredients to make an American Lager at my LBHS. That kettle looks really nice, even nicer in person than in the pics on the BIAB sticky thread.

I'm going to do this inside on my stove, which has one high output burner. I've read that it works in another thread here, even if it isn't optimal. My biggest fear is being able to get the grain bag out and let it drain as I don't have a lift system other than my arms.

I've also read about how the thermometer in the Blichmann needs to be removed as it gets in the way. It really doesn't stick that far out, and maybe I'll just cover it with a metal bowl and keep it in. I actually don't have a choice since I don't have the hole plug. In any case I think that fear is overrated.

The lager yeast is in Mr Beer with 2 liters of wort as a starter for the last 3 days. That should be enough.

Now all it has to do is get cold enough outside so I don't have to keep moving it around to ferment. When the temp is below 32 outside, I have a room that stays at 48-52. I let it lager outside and if needed I'll use ice bottles, I move it just inside if it is going to get too cold overnight.

I'm thinking I've got this mostly covered, but I'm sure there'll be one more trip to either the HBS or Lowes.

Latest posts

Back