Is it okay to drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiffybrew

Reaction score
I need help/advice on my first AG. My beer is in the secondary. I havent opened up the lid until today when i was getting ready to bottle. I've sanatized all my bottles and i went to open the secondary there is a while film at the top with clumps of white stuff. Is this yeast? Is it contaminated?
I spigoted a little out and it looks nice and it smells nice. I noticed little bubbles in the sample. Havent tasted it yet, i'm a little hesitant.
Anyone have the same experience? Is contaminated beer safe to drink?
:(

Bottle as usual and wait usual time. Drink if it tastes good than drink. What are you out? About two cases of bottles for two weeks? Most likely it's yeast and co2 in suspension.

taste it. there are no known pathogens that can live in beer. if it tastes ok, its probably ok.

contamination usually looks obvious: clumps of fuzzy mold, weird 'strings' of slimy stuff (sorta like egg drop soup).

the fact it doesn't smell funny is a good sign its ok and that's just some floating yeast/trub, possibly covered in tiny CO2 bubbles lending a whitish appearance.

Back